Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Choice of Universities for Physics/Astrophysics degree. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I'm a student from Italy and I'm trying to choose what university include in my application for a Physics or (even better) Astrophysics degree. My predicted grade for the final exam is around 95-100%, which can be considered as a AAA-A*A*A in A levels (It really depends on how lucky I will be during the exam).
    I'm not very familiar with the admission rates of English universities, so I wanted to know if you think that trying this universities is a little optimistic.
    Imperial - Physics Bsc
    Manchester - Physics with Astrophysics Bsc
    Edinburgh - Astrophysics Bsc
    UCL - Astrophysics Bsc
    KCL - Physics With Astrophysics and Cosmology Bsc
    considering that I'd like to be sure (or at least 95% sure) to be accepted at one of these at least. Thanks for helping me out
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanNass)
    Hello everyone, I'm a student from Italy and I'm trying to choose what university include in my application for a Physics or (even better) Astrophysics degree. My predicted grade for the final exam is around 95-100%, which can be considered as a AAA-A*A*A in A levels (It really depends on how lucky I will be during the exam).
    I'm not very familiar with the admission rates of English universities, so I wanted to know if you think that trying this universities is a little optimistic.
    Imperial - Physics Bsc
    Manchester - Physics with Astrophysics Bsc
    Edinburgh - Astrophysics Bsc
    UCL - Astrophysics Bsc
    KCL - Physics With Astrophysics and Cosmology Bsc
    considering that I'd like to be sure (or at least 95% sure) to be accepted at one of these at least. Thanks for helping me out
    You can see course offer rates at Which? University:
    https://university.which.co.uk/

It can be an idea to include 1 or 2 universities below you predicted grades as "insurance".

Of your choices Imperial is the most "competitive".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So which universities would you suggest? Considering that I’m looking for a good uni which is also in a city where night/social life isn’t missing...
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    So which universities would you suggest? Considering that I’m looking for a good uni which is also in a city where night/social life isn’t missing...
    I'm not a physicist, so can't really advise. Your choices seem fine.

Maybe add Bristol and Birmingham to the mix.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    I'm not a physicist, so can't really advise. Your choices seem fine.

Maybe add Bristol and Birmingham to the mix.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok thank you very much, if anyone else has something to say is always appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you very much, if anyone else has something to say is always appreciated.
    Imperial and Manchester require A*A*A, Edinburgh is A*AA I think, UCL is AAA and King's is AAB.
    As a guess you'd probably get offers from the last two at least but it really depends on other aspects of your application and your interview for Imperial and Manchester. Do you not have exact predictions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
    Imperial and Manchester require A*A*A, Edinburgh is A*AA I think, UCL is AAA and King's is AAB.
    As a guess you'd probably get offers from the last two at least but it really depends on other aspects of your application and your interview for Imperial and Manchester. Do you not have exact predictions?
    I believe my predicted grade will be around 98-100% (A*A*A) however is not unlikely that I will get a lower grade in the exam (like 95% which is A*AA or even less if I'm very unlucky).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.