Mkayw
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
can someone help me with this (true or false - need corrections)

- only endotherms maintain body temp by homeostasis
- ectotherms cannot detect changes in external temp
- both endotherms and ectotherms show behavioural responses to change in body temp
- only endotherms show physiological responses to change in temp
jsg9
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
- Edit: after thinking about it, both ectotherms and endotherms want to maintain homeostasis, but it's more of a state, not a mechanism. So you can say this statement is false. Sorry, using the word "by" confused me a bit lol.
- I wouldn't say ectotherms can't detect changes in external temp, they have to be able to in order to change their behaviour accordingly. I'd say second statement is false.
- Yes, both endotherms and ectotherms show behavioural changes in response, we're endothermic and put a jumper on similarly to how an ectotherm would move out of shade etc. This is true.
- Endotherms do show physiological responses to changes in temp through feedback loops, e.g. vasodilation/vasoconstriction, but ectotherms can have physiological adaptations too, e.g. the horned lizard can alter it's surface area by expanding or contracting its rib cage.

Hope that helps
Mkayw
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by jsg9)
- Ectotherms do not regulate body temp by homeostasis, first statement is true.
- I wouldn't say ectotherms can't detect changes in external temp, they have to be able to in order to change their behaviour accordingly. I'd say second statement is false.
- Yes, both endotherms and ectotherms show behavioural changes in response, we're endothermic and put a jumper on similarly to how an ectotherm would move out of shade etc. This is true.
- Endotherms do show physiological responses to changes in temp through feedback loops, e.g. vasodilation/vasoconstriction, but ectotherms can have physiological adaptations too, e.g. the horned lizard can alter it's surface area by expanding or contracting its rib cage.

Hope that helps
wow, they're great answers
thanks.
jsg9
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mkayw)
wow, they're great answers
thanks.
No problem. I made a change to the first answer though, I got thrown by the wording
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (60)
29.13%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.28%
No I am happy with my choice (115)
55.83%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.77%

Watched Threads