Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who got A's or A*s In A Level CHEM Or BIO?????????????????????? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you did please share what you exactly did to get theses grades, i am struggling to do well i am in year 13??????

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 13 too and I've been stuck on a B/C for so long, its so frustrating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnALevelStudent)
    I'm in year 13 too and I've been stuck on a B/C for so long, its so frustrating
    literally, like i dont know what i am doing wrong. How do you revise for them???

ReputationRep:
    In year 13 also with predicted grades A* for both bio and chem. Don't try to over complicate things just learn them as they are and LOADS of flashcards lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura1276)
    literally, like i dont know what i am doing wrong. How do you revise for them???
    i still havent established a revision method which is probably the issue lol, but generally I make sure I understand a topic and write notes and then I make mindmaps or flashcards or something and memorise it. Then I do past papers, I do understand the content tbh but the exam questions are just so confusing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaochan)
    In year 13 also with predicted grades A* for both bio and chem. Don't try to over complicate things just learn them as they are and LOADS of flashcards lol
    I really try to not over complicate things, what exam boards for bio and chem btw?

ReputationRep:
    OCR for chem and Eduqas for Biology.
    Only surviving biology because of low eduqas grade boundaries tbf - 72% A*

ReputationRep:
    how/when do you plan on revising the year 12 content too? I've been telling myself that ill revise it all this half term and i never did fml

ReputationRep:
    Flashcards? Do they really help? You need to know a lot of content in bio (e.g for one organelle) so how would you put it all on 1 flashcard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnALevelStudent)
    how/when do you plan on revising the year 12 content too? I've been telling myself that ill revise it all this half term and i never did fml
    I haven't done too much of A1 revision yet. Instead of revising everything just do past papers and questions to keep it in your head and only revise questions you slip up on. With chemistry, a lot of A2 is just building upon A1 knowledge so keeps it fresh anyway.
    One thing I would recommend, which has helped me significantly ,Ive made a list of every organic reaction we need to know on a word file including reactants, conditions, curly arrows etc. I update this as the course progresses. Then
    create a blank file with only titles of the reactions and then print both out and use it as a massive flashcard lol and work your way through till you know them all.

ReputationRep:
    OCR for chem and Eduqas for Biology.
    Only surviving biology because of low eduqas grade boundaries tbf - 72% A*
    Lol, So what are your tips like can you walk me through what yiu exactly do when you revise for these two subjects, im really eager to change my grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura1276)
    If you did please share what you exactly did to get theses grades, i am struggling to do well i am in year 13??????
    What exam boards are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kira Yagami)
    What exam boards are you doing?
    Bio= Edexcel Nuffield
    Chem= AQA

wbu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amaraub)
    Flashcards? Do they really help? You need to know a lot of content in bio (e.g for one organelle) so how would you put it all on 1 flashcard?
    For biology they're the only revision I do. I got stacks of them maybe 100 for each topic. Don't put a whole process on one card. Make questions which prompt you to remember each big topic in small chunks and its easier to remember stuff that way. For each little para in the text book, make questions where the answers summarise the key points. In such a content heavy course where you're tested on the smallest details, this is the only way I can learn so much.
    I should also note I no longer have a social life though :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I did AQA Biology and got A* for all my exams but just an A overall because of the horrible coursework.
    I did OCR Chemistry B salters and got an A.

Ok, so...

Download the specification for both subjects.
    Buy the specific exam board text books and read them/make notes and practice all the questions.
    Use online notes by googling topics you need help with.
    Watch Youtube videos on all the topics you struggle with. (MaChemGuy and Allery tutors are amazing channels for Chemistry. There are some good biology channels).
    Do all the past papers in timed conditions - make sure you REALLY understand everything,memorising for these subjects at this level won't be enough. Read examiner reports too.
    If you don't understand something, post it on forums or ask your teacher.
    Just keep working, you can do it

ReputationRep:
    i got a*.i used the snaprevise and theses notes wriiten by a cambridge tutor .saved my life as legit cut out the bs and it told me how to to word defitions and the 6 marks to get max marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kira Yagami)
    I did AQA Biology and got A* for all my exams but just an A overall because of the horrible coursework.
    I did OCR Chemistry B salters and got an A.

Ok, so...

Download the specification for both subjects.
    Buy the specific exam board text books and read them/make notes and practice all the questions.
    Use online notes by googling topics you need help with.
    Watch Youtube videos on all the topics you struggle with. (MaChemGuy and Allery tutors are amazing channels for Chemistry. There are some good biology channels).
    Do all the past papers in timed conditions - make sure you REALLY understand everything,memorising for these subjects at this level won't be enough. Read examiner reports too.
    If you don't understand something, post it on forums or ask your teacher.
    Just keep working, you can do it

I keep seeing Chemistry B (Salters)
    What does salters mean lol

ReputationRep:
    I keep seeing Chemistry B (Salters)
    What does salters mean lol
    Not sure lol

ReputationRep:
    A's in both
    The biggest thing you have that will make the difference is past papers. I know there are new specs now but that is being used as an excuse for a lack of effort. Chemistry is chemistry - the format of question has not changed just the order of content. Doing past papers until you're comfortably getting A's will get you in the habit of answering in certain styles. Then as soon as you get to uni forget all that as they want actual thought out answers not parrot learned responses

ReputationRep:
    For biology they're the only revision I do. I got stacks of them maybe 100 for each topic. Don't put a whole process on one card. Make questions which prompt you to remember each big topic in small chunks and its easier to remember stuff that way. For each little para in the text book, make questions where the answers summarise the key points. In such a content heavy course where you're tested on the smallest details, this is the only way I can learn so much.
    Ok, thanks, I might have to try that. Can you give an example of a specific topic?

I should also note I no longer have a social life though :sad:
    yeah i've never had one anyway

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.