Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who got A's or A*s In A Level CHEM Or BIO?????????????????????? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnALevelStudent)
    I'm in year 13 too and I've been stuck on a B/C for so long, its so frustrating
    Inni, I have tried changing revision techniques and don't get better. For my last bio test I did so many past paper questions and scraped a B by 1 mark. And n my last maths test got 42%, it was a surprise test but still!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE 9)
    I use snaprevise too, may i ask were they the only notes you used or did you make notes too and for which subject did you use snaprevise for?
    i used the note form snaprevise and anotr note of note i brought which were written by a cambridge tutuor for chemistry .I did this for chem.For bio i used zigzag papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura1276)
    literally, like i dont know what i am doing wrong. How do you revise for them???
    Do past papers. Over. And over. And over. Properly.

If you don’t know where you’re going wrong, see where the marks are that you’re missing. What gaps in your knowledge are there when it comes to an exam situation? Is it the extended answers, or the shorter ones? Is there a topic in organic chemistry you don’t get as much?
    The only way you’ll be able to know is if you test yourself as you would be tested in an exam. With no prompts or little indicators.

Good luck.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeadHoncho)
    E rintoul is a great YouTube channel specifically for AQA chemistry, you can also use a website called chemrevise; they have AQA, OCR etc specific guides and a brilliant mechanisms summary sheet.

I did OCR biology, but what really helped me with that was mindmaps allowing me to link together topics, as well as wider reading which I feel is necessary for the new spec

(I got A* in both bio and chem)
    I did OCR A new spec Biology too and I would definitely disagree with the wider reading thing. me and my friend were up there with the laziest people in the school and we just used CGP and got high A*s. No wider reading needed at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manlike99)
    I did OCR A new spec Biology too and I would definitely disagree with the wider reading thing. me and my friend were up there with the laziest people in the school and we just used CGP and got high A*s. No wider reading needed at all.
    Would biological magazines count as wider reading

ReputationRep:
    Would biological magazines count as wider reading
    yes that's what my teachers told me to read. Something called like Biological review? But you really don't need to

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel Bio and Chem and As in both.
    I've had really good scores in AS so I guess that has helped alot in achieving the final Alevel grade. Anyway, for Bio, the student book is your ultimate resource, and there's an implementation guide which has all experimental setups and answers to student book questions. What really helped was making a compilation of all past paper questions with their mark scheme answers chapterwise and using the specifications to revise each topic. I'd select a specification point, read the corresponding pages from the book and revise school notes from the chapter, then go through the past papers to find relevant questions and learn up markscheme answers. That made me figure out which parts are important and relevant for a particular question.

For chem I did the same as above except I used George Facer, Hodder and Student book. George facer has literally everything specification wise and the student book How Science Works were helpful to study. After reading each chapter from the three books i would move on to qp, making notes of any tricky mcqs etc. What really helped was printing out all qp mcqs from 2010-2017 and stapling them together and doing them in one go. You'll find loads of repeat questions and similar methods of solving the ques. Do the same for bio.
    Hope this helps!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Fair, I only really did it because we had to but it seemed helpful when it can to the exams

ReputationRep:
    Mine was back in the day when you just had to memorise the mark scheme and boom, full UMS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    Mine was back in the day when you just had to memorise the mark scheme and boom, full UMS.
    That still works now, my A* was this year

ReputationRep:
    Well there you go. The British education system is wacked but in the meantime I made use of easy it was to manipulate.

ReputationRep:
    what subject did you get the a* in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mda2)
    what subject did you get the a* in?
    Biology

ReputationRep:
    Glad I dropped chemistry after 2 weeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mda2)
    how did you revise maths
    Well, I got taught the methods obviously from teacher so we did exercises on textbook. I tried completing all of my school work plus homework. Some days I didn't get the method or I missed the colledge so I used the YouTube videos( there is a fat guy online who is really good ). After all this, I completed all the past papers ( core 3, 4 and mechanics). Tried to do these twice. We finished mechanics first like November time so completed all mechanics paper than and then finished core 3 at February time so completed all those. Finished core 4 at may April time so did those. I did core 3 and mechanics again. I didn't do core 4 again because it was fresh. When I completed everything, I did extension questions on the book. Day before exam I went through all the questions I did wring before and attempted it again. This helped me to get 100 ums in all modules. I got 100 in core 1 which I retook too. 75/75 in core 3, 68/75 in core 4 and 74/75 in mechanics ( raw marks). So basically aced it lol

ReputationRep:
    Did you make any handwritten notes
    N, I didn't made any hand written notes. I thought it would just waste my time. At alvrel it is more about practising so I spend more on past paper than making notes. To revise the content I printed out notes and went through it and highlighted main things. This way I went through content faster and it actually worked for me. For some of my friends they did hand written notes, they also got A* so it is not a bad thing. It may work for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura1276)
    Thank you so much for your tips i will deffo try the edexcel questions out, do you have any more tips. I know i keep asking but you know what your talking about lol tahst why i wanna get every detail????
    I think that's pretty much it for chemistry. You will go through some much this year, some time you will not do well and you will think that chemistry isn't for you especially when you will attempt those specimen papers. I did so bad in paper 3 but I acted upon in e.g I did that paper in March time and did very poor so if decided to cover everything on practical. Rather than just keep going over experiment in textbook and I attempted the questions where you have to apply such knowledge. That's why I would say focus on practical things now because honestly I did it late and it wasn't really exciting when I spent 3 hours on chemistry every day.

ReputationRep:
    heyy do you still have the zigzag papers?

ReputationRep:
    I use snaprevise too, may i ask were they the only notes you used or did you make notes too and for which subject did you use snaprevise for?
    is snaprevise good?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.