Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have finished sixth form and i am retaking as a private student as I didn't do well last year.
    i keep thinking that ''it doenst matter if you do bad again you can always retake again next year and the year after''
    someone help me????? I don't want to think this way! this is my third year of A levels.
    i think i probably think this way because people told me i am still young etc and i know people who retook twice
    ugh, and this weird thought is making me feel lazy!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Do you mind if I ask what you want to do at Uni (or if you want to go to Uni)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    Do you mind if I ask what you want to do at Uni (or if you want to go to Uni)?
    Yes, i want to go uni
    I just need some help as i keep getting this thought that ''it doesnt matter if i do bad again''. its so weird because who would want to retake twice if you got the chance to do well this year as a private candidate?!

ReputationRep:
    U just gotta motivate urself. If u know ur being lazy then stop being lazy.
    Try thinking of the consequences if u are too lazy maybe? Also dont blame others for ur laziness- coz you are deciding to be lazy.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N/A IS THE NAME)
    U just gotta motivate urself. If u know ur being lazy then stop being lazy.
    Try thinking of the consequences if u are too lazy maybe? Also dont blame others for ur laziness- coz you are deciding to be lazy.
    Good idea.. and yeah because I got the opportunity to do well this year then why think that you can retake again next year?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by itsyrt)
    Yes, i want to go uni
    I just need some help as i keep getting this thought that ''it doesnt matter if i do bad again''. its so weird because who would want to retake twice if you got the chance to do well this year as a private candidate?!
    How far are you away (in terms of grades) from where you want to be? Think both realistically and practically, balance the pros and cons of doing one more year - money / career / family and friends etc? For degrees like Medicine the admissions team don't take kindly to people who retake.

ReputationRep:
    Good idea.. and yeah because I got the opportunity to do well this year then why think that you can retake again next year?
    Yh. Im a bit lazy myself. I find talking to friends and comparing how much work weve done to help- as they normally tell u off 😂.
    Yh so speak to someone that will tell u off

ReputationRep:
    How far are you away (in terms of grades) from where you want to be? Think both realistically and practically, balance the pros and cons of doing one more year - money / career / family and friends etc? For degrees like Medicine the admissions team don't take kindly to people who retake.
    huh thats not my problem
    I am retaking as a private candidate 100%.
    But i get this annoying thought that I can always retake again next year if i do bad because people have told me I am young, and because i know other people that retook twice. I don't like this thought
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    huh thats not my problem
    I am retaking as a private candidate 100%.
    But i get this annoying thought that I can always retake again next year if i do bad because people have told me I am young, and because i know other people that retook twice. I don't like this thought
    Ok, do you know how you fell down? Until you know the reasons for you not doing well you could retake 100+ times and not get where you want to be.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N/A IS THE NAME)
    Yh. Im a bit lazy myself. I find talking to friends and comparing how much work weve done to help- as they normally tell u off 😂.
    Yh so speak to someone that will tell u off
    The thing is I know I will work hard, but this thought about ''dont worry you can always retake again' puts me off. I dont want to retake again

ReputationRep:
    Ok, do you know how you fell down? Until you know the reasons for you not doing well you could retake 100+ times and not get where you want to be.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results"
    Yeah thats true.
    I just dont want to get the thought of ''you can retake again next year youre still young''
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeah thats true.
    I just dont want to get the thought of ''you can retake again next year youre still young''
    You are, but then you won't be forever. Technically you are already "older" than your peers (who started Year 7 with you) by at least a year...

ReputationRep:
    Why are you retaking as a private candidate?

ReputationRep:
    I have this problem
    I am retaking my science a levels as a private candidate as i didnt do well in year 13. Know i am getting this annoying thought that I can always retake again (so basically retake twice) if i do bad AGAIn this year!! please help me.. this thought is making me feel so lazy I think its because people told me i am still young and i know people who didnt only retake once or TWICE. but i dont want to retake twice when i know i can do well this year as a private candidate. AGAIN my problem is not retaking. this is my first time retaking so its fine my problem is that i get this thought that i can always RETAKE again next year as ''i am still young and retaking for the second time is fine just because i know people who retook twice too'' I DONT want this thought it makes me feel lazy and stupid

ReputationRep:
    The thing is I know I will work hard, but this thought about ''dont worry you can always retake again' puts me off. I dont want to retake again
    That should be ur motivation

ReputationRep:
    I think you gotta slap some motivation onto you. I know it can be stressful but only when you attempt to push yourslef harder things become easier. This is my second year, first year didn't go to plan but I am going to make it up this year. I have been quite in and out of being not motivated and not persistent so I am trying to focus inwards to find ways to resolve the issue. I have also been watching anime again (finding inspiration from the main leads haha) and giving time to my enjoyment as much as work so I am well balanced and will actually feel like doing work. I am telling myself to think of my future as well, and I can't waste time because it truly is precious and says a lot about our work ethic. Work on building work ethic by pushing yourself everyday and make sure your mind is focused and not distracted when doing work. Find a hero or a insipiration, look towards your dream and what you want to achieve. It sounds cliche but have faith and believe in it and trust me no one can stop you from doing your best.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats true.
    Lol well ur not going to be able to stop that thought. Just try fight it to strengthen ur mindset
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I have finished sixth form and i am retaking as a private student as I didn't do well last year.
    i keep thinking that ''it doenst matter if you do bad again you can always retake again next year and the year after''
    someone help me????? I don't want to think this way! this is my third year of A levels.
    i think i probably think this way because people told me i am still young etc and i know people who retook twice
    ugh, and this weird thought is making me feel lazy!
    I think its an unusual attitude to have.

On he one hand you are young and if you dont do as well again, then you cna retake them and it wont be the end of the world.

On the other hand you need to weight up the push pull factors if you do fail.

Push
    Its not fun.
    You waste energy and time for nt getting the grades.
    It costs you another year.
    Its quite tiring and disappointing.
    You have to deal with family.
    It costs money.
    Also means more hard work.

In contrast

Pull
    It will be fun and a lot less stressful if you pass.
    You can avoid all the above.
    You get to go to uni and in theory have a good time and closer to the career you want.
    You dont have to expend any more time and money.

How much do you wish to avoid one set of factors and how much do you want the other? Thats what you have to decide. It sounds like you are procrastinating because you have forgotten how much you wish to go and forgotten how disappointing it was to fail. Remind yourself.

Imo the only standard you have to reach is fir you to have prepared and tried your best.

If you have learnt why you failed last time, then followed a plan to improve plus put the hours in, then your results are whatever they are and theres no point in beating yourself up.

If you dont try then you have yourself to blame. Its a choice of whether you back yourself and prove you are as good as you say you are to pass or not.

Putting things off is just a sign of procrastination because you lack focus. I suggest preparing a thorough plan and timetable to keep you on track and make sure you are thoroughly prepared. there must have been plenty missing that you can improve on, so just get organised and do your best to better last time. The more work you do now then the less you have to do next year. keep a reasonable plan and dont overdo it plus have a social life.

Your life so take responsibility. Do actions that improve not decrease your chances of achieving your goal. Thinking about the year after doesnt really help you much.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.