Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you studied German GCSE, what are the main grammar rules you need to learn, because I find it very all complicated

ReputationRep:
    The main grammar rules that a lot of people I know struggled with was clauses and where verbs are supposed to go in the sentence. Basic things like verb second, second verbs at the end of clauses and subordinate clauses are extremely important. Is there anything specifically you're struggling with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahA2745)
    If you studied German GCSE, what are the main grammar rules you need to learn, because I find it very all complicated
    I did GCSE, but I imagine people have better grasps of German than mine so they can chip in too. By far the most important thing for me was understanding the word order in a sentence, with the verb always (I think? It's certainly like that most of the time) being the second idea - for example, you could have Pronoun Verb Time Manner Place, or Time Verb Pronoun Manner Place (where Manner and Place just describe how and where you did something, and are usually left as the later parts of a sentence). I'd try to remember the gender of nouns and their attached adjectives etc, as that's quite important, but you needn't worry about cases too much unless your teacher tells you to. Past tense was always a bit of a pain for me too, but once I got got my head around the two types of past tense (eg. "I have done" and "I've been doing" then it was fine.

Hope that helped.

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling with all the rules except from putting the verb at the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fliscia)
    The main grammar rules that a lot of people I know struggled with was clauses and where verbs are supposed to go in the sentence. Basic things like verb second, second verbs at the end of clauses and subordinate clauses are extremely important. Is there anything specifically you're struggling with?
    Ah yes, a good addition to what I wrote, remember what happens when you add something like a "weil" (because) to your sentence.

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling with all the rules except from putting the verb at the end.
    Definitely something to ask your teacher about when you have a second, maybe make a little cheat sheet with examples at the front/back of your workbook?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plklupu)
    Definitely something to ask your teacher about when you have a second, maybe make a little cheat sheet with examples at the front/back of your workbook?
    In addition to this I'd try and absorb yourself in german media, listening to people speak a language is extremely helpful in understanding how it works and you'll find it comes more naturally too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fliscia)
    In addition to this I'd try and absorb yourself in german media, listening to people speak a language is extremely helpful in understanding how it works and you'll find it comes more naturally too.
    Yes, though I'd start with reading or only watching educational German media to start with (like Hallo aus Berlin) because fluent Germans might speak a bit too fast for you to follow.

ReputationRep:
    On the old exam board I got away with not needing to know that off the top of my head. You were given a topic to prepare at home and I was able to do that using online phrase translators and conjugation sites. Listening and reading exams were easy as I could decipher what the words meant, or listen for key words which I knew. I got 95%+ of UMS marks.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plklupu)
    Yes, though I'd start with reading or only watching educational German media to start with (like Hallo aus Berlin) because fluent Germans might speak a bit too fast for you to follow.
    Could you help me and explain the basic Grammar Rules in German?

ReputationRep:
    Could you help me and explain the basic Grammar Rules in German?
    I completed my German GCSE in 2015, it's been a long time since I last thought about it, so I'm afraid all I can remember I wrote in my original post.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.