Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Things like Nintendo, X box, PlayStation devices. Would it give me an edge?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, not really? Unless if you plan to study games programming. Mostly guys do computer science so there is a likely chance most have previous gaming experience however it is not really needed, as long as you have some sort of creative mind compatible with logic.

Despite compsci being pretty broad, you still need to familiarize yourself with programming languages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QU33)
    How do you mean get familiar? As in take them apart?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jestersnow)
    How do you mean get familiar? As in take them apart?
    take them apart, use them, anything and everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QU33)
    take them apart, use them, anything and everything!
    Talk me through this...what is it about playing video games that you think will help make you better at coding, discrete maths, network engineering or system architecture or any of the other things you study on a CS degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QU33)
    No.

I've never owned a games console other than a gaming PC which I built two years ago. I'm now at the University of Edinburgh doing EE & CS. Gamers do not have an edge at all....

Reading books about philosophy, linguistics, and logic will though.

ReputationRep:
    Simply answer: no. You're unlikely to learn anything about video games on a Computer Science degree, how about doing a degree in Game Design/Development or Media Studies?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.