Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm a bit unsure where I should be posting this so sorry (in advance) if I posted this to the wrong forum.
    So I'm in a bit of a predicament, my end goal is to work and live in the US. My current plan is to apply for a scholarship in Law at Stanford, Harvard and Columbia. And I know how difficult it is to get in, but if there are any points you really want to point out please go ahead. I've seen and spoken to a lot of people, but where I am nobody knows too much about it. However, my family is saying that I should get a degree in something else over here and then work in the US. The only issue I have with that is the uncertainty of getting employed in the US if I have a UK degree. Some other people have said that I should get a degree here and then get a US degree so that I'm more qualified but I don't know if that is possible?
    I'm in my AS year, and I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and English Literature. My GCSEs are Maths, English Language, English Literature, Computer Science, Art, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and General Studies.
    I don't mind what degree I'm doing so exclude my personal interests, I just want to live/work in the US. So my questions: What subject/major/degree would be best for a UK student trying to work in the US? And what is a good major for international students to get into a US university?
    Regardless I will still go through the application process for Stanford, Harvard and Columbia. (Please if you know any good US universities for international students let me know) And if you know any extra things that US universities, in particular, look for in the application process that would help me a lot.

Thanks for any information. It really helps a lot. And again I apologise for sounding so clueless.

EDIT: I am already aware that I would have to get a bachelor's degree beforehand and I'm aware of the cost of the university over there, the only way would be with a scholarship, that's why I need other options. And again, I'm looking for suggestions of degrees to take.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lia0)
    snip
    The first thing to say is that a law degree in America is a postgraduate degree, that means you need a degree just to apply. The second thing to say is that American immigration laws are tough, studying there does not entitle you to the right to live and work in the country. The easier (and far, far) cheaper way to work in a law firm in the US is to do your law degree in the UK, get a job with a firm here, and then get seconded to the US.

Can you afford it? A bachelor's degree at the universities you mentioned is going to cost around £300,000. A JD (postgraduate law degree) will cost £250,000. It's true that top American universities offer financial aid, but not many offer full scholarships to international students, and those that do, such as Harvard and Stanford, are incredibly competitive. Let's be clear about this, you're very unlikely to get in. I don't mean to put you off, there's no harm in applying, but don't be too disappointed if it doesn't happen. You can read more about the application process and financial aid here: http://fulbright.org.uk/going-to-the...tionusa-advice

There is no benefit to doing your first degree in the US. People with UK bachelor degrees can and do get into top Harvard/Stanford/Columbia/Yale Law programmes. I suggest you try to figure out what you want to study, and once you've figured it out, study in the UK. If you still want to do an American law degree afterwards then you can.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.