Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

Why I am doing this thread

So I am currently in Year 11 and doing mock exams and thought this thread would be a great source motivation. The end goal would be to go to Cambridge University but the road will be long and stressful. I would love to do a law degree in Cambridge university as I have a real passion for law. Since i was a kid i thought lawyers were badasses that kick ass in court and Cambridge university is the best university in the country ( sorry Oxfordians ). I've always been interested in commercial law, I have been told it's long hours and is very demanding but I think i would be fit for the job. Id love to make my family proud as only 2 people in my entire family have made it to university. My Dad told me he only moved to this country to make sure i had a promising future, he currently works a labour job along with my Mum who works part-time due to having to take care of my 10 year old brother and sister. My parents move to this country when i was 3, I am turning 16 in 2 months, and I am so grateful for their decision.

Lessons I enjoy

I really enjoy mathematics and i am currently doing an FSMQ additional maths course alongside my GSSE's. I am not sure would to choose in college. My am currently thinking of doing Further Maths, Law and economics however my dad thinks that there is no money in being a lawyer and that I should become an engineer like he used to be. I'm considering choosing physics as my fourth options simply to make him happy. I know its wrong but I don't want to disappoint him. I am open to any suggestions.

Hobbies
    My hobbies consist of sports such as boxing, rugby, and football, however, I really have not had as much time recently. I also watch A LOT of TV shows, you name it and I have probably watched it, I am currently watching Lucifer, Arrow, Riverdale, and I will start season 2 of stranger things. I also have seen all 7 seasons of suits and have not had any regrets, suits really was the deciding factor in what career choice I would like to do. I know they portray being a lawyer as very glamorous which contrast real life but I still would like to pursue law.

Career Path + A-Level Choices
    I decided that I would love a job in finance as it includes my two favourite things, money and maths. I was first considering a job in law, however, I have always preferred maths ( I don't like essay based subjects) so I decided the next best things was finance. I want to do further maths, a level maths and economics as I feel they cater towards my strengths and would help me reach the career I want. I've always hated science so I will never do that for a levels.

I will update this thread with my mock results once I receive my grades back.

Quote to follow - You earn your trophies in practice, you just pick them up in competitions.

Mock Results :cry:

Spoiler:
    Show

Maths - 8/9 ( Nearly a 9 but I can still apply for further maths)
    Science - 5 overall ( Really sad but I focused mostly on maths, I got what i deserved)

Gcse School Predictions / Personal Predictions (My Goals)

Spoiler:
    Show

English - 7 / 8
    Maths - 8 / 9
    FSMQ Additional Maths - A / A
    Biology - 7 / 8
    Chemistry -7 / 8
    Physics - 7 / 8
    French - 6 / 7
    Geography - 6 / 8
    Business Studies - A* / A*

ReputationRep:
    what course do you hope to do at cambridge?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    what course do you hope to do at cambridge?
    I have always been interested in commercial law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keslo)
    how did you become interested in commerical law??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keslo)
    interesting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mez_merising)
    how did you become interested in commerical law??
    I have always wanted to work for a big firm, something about everyone working hard everyday to try and be better than each other really intrigues me and also knowing my work has a small influence on big businesses that deal with lots of money makes it that much more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also looking at Cambridge for law atm, see you there in a few years maybe?:cool: Good luck with this year mate your grades look ace!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinegrove)
    I'm also looking at Cambridge for law atm, see you there in a few years maybe?:cool: Good luck with this year mate your grades look ace!
    Haha i hope so, I checked out your GYG and it's way better than mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clouddbubbles)
    interesting!
    Nice change, most people think it is stupid that i want to pursue a career in commercial law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keslo)
    Nice change, most people think it is stupid that i want to pursue a career in commercial law.
    it’s definitely not stupid!!!

ReputationRep:
    Today I did my 2nd maths mock and I think it went well, I also did an RE mock which I probably failed miserably as I did no prior revision as i wanted to focus on maths. Hopefully I get an 8 in the maths mock so I can apply for further maths in college.

ReputationRep:
    Today was stressful, I had an english lang exam and a french writing, I feel like the english exam went well however the last question on the writing on was describe your ideal best friend, I wrote that I was my ideal best friend and described myself as i did no prior revision due to focusing on english. Hopefully they will award marks for it.

ReputationRep:
    English literature and business both went great today, now I am just revising for the last maths paper and the Science paper.

ReputationRep:
    So I went to an open day with my friends and it really motivated me to try and succeed in my GCSE's, Im considering doing Further Maths, chemistry and either physics or economics as they leave my options open.

ReputationRep:
    Had forgotten about this thread.

I got my maths and science mock results back today and I am pretty annoyed at science, however, i should have revised it more. I am just hoping my other mock results are not as bad as these results. I'll update it more as I get more of my results back.

ReputationRep:
    I"ve decided what a levels and what career path I would like to do. Read my new para if you wish to find out.

Any plans this weekend?

Submit reply
Updated: November 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.