Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wrote a response to a 12 mark A level philosophy answer and it only scored 5/12 marks so I was asked to rewrite it.

What I have seems like too little for 12 marks.
    Any suggestions for anything else that would improve it would be greatly helpful.

What is a false lemma and how can we solve it? (12)

Philosopher Gettier accepted that the conditions in the Tripartite Definition of Propositional Knowledge were individually necessary but suggested that they were not, in fact, jointly sufficient. This definition goes as follows:

S knows P iff... 1) P is true
    2) S can justify P
    3) S believes P

Gettier elucidates upon this claim by using his famous example of Smith and Jones in which both men are applying for the same job. He states that we have evidence for the following:

Jones will get the job
    Jones has ten coins in his pocket

We can conclude that The person who gets the job will have 10 coins in his pocket.
    However, Smith is the one that gets the job and we later find out that Smith also has 10 coins in his pocket.

Therefore, our proposition was both true, justified and believed but it was not knowledge.
    Was our false assumption. It was a false lemma.

To prevent false lemmas from being a part of the tripartite definition of propositional knowledge Gettier proposed that we add a fourth condition which meant that

knowledge = J + T + B + N (where ‘N’ is our no false lemma condition).

ReputationRep:
    You've described what it is but you ahven't criticised it and so haven't said how it might be solved. In a philosophy question you almost always have to give a criticism then present how the criticism might be overcome (sometimes it might not be). My advice would be to find some example of a criticism of the Fourth Condition Response and then assess the FCR can hold in light of the criticism.

As it stands, you've presented the definition then mentioned the FCR in no real context. You really need an objection to Gettier to discuss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    You've described what it is but you ahven't criticised it and so haven't said how it might be solved. In a philosophy question you almost always have to give a criticism then present how the criticism might be overcome (sometimes it might not be). My advice would be to find some example of a criticism of the Fourth Condition Response and then assess the FCR can hold in light of the criticism.

As it stands, you've presented the definition then mentioned the FCR in no real context. You really need an objection to Gettier to discuss.
    In my first attempt at the question I tried to critique it using goldmans barn country but my teacher said that it was redundant. Nobody else used Goldmans barn in my class and they all scored higher than me.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I suspect it might be the way that you deployed it that was the issue because it is a very well known response to the problem. Maybe you need to get back to your teacher and ask how you might improve the grade?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    I suspect it might be the way that you deployed it that was the issue because it is a very well known response to the problem. Maybe you need to get back to your teacher and ask how you might improve the grade?
    I'll send him an email.
    Thanks for the help.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Honestly this question your teacher set makes no sense.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.