Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there any ways that I can build muscle without going to the gym? I really hate th whole atmosphere etc. And I’d like To build muscle at home. I don’t have any weights

ReputationRep:
    you sound lazy, like one of those people who want to swallow a pill on monday and come out with a six pack by wednesday.....
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Go to the gym and look for a good 5*5 workout, this has helped me increase strength as well as gain muscle as they incorporate the main exercises like squat, bench press, deadlift etc.

The rule is eat well, eat a good portion of protein daily and sleep well that way you will build muscle.

Much of gaining muscle is eating and sleeping right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    you sound lazy, like one of those people who want to swallow a pill on monday and come out with a six pack by wednesday.....
    I mean, I don’t. I want to work for results but I dislike the gym completely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMurray817)
    I mean, I don’t. I want to work for results but I dislike the gym completely

virtually impossible for you to get a proper workout at home with no weights

even with weights it will be challenging as you probably won't have the space needed or be able to afford everything you need to get a thorough workout ...so eventually will probably end up out of proportion in some muscle groups...

ReputationRep:
    I work out at home and I have put on muscle for sure. I do have an EZ bar with which I deadlift, too. I am of course still under 100kg but considering I started out scrawny af, I still have no issues. You can do an awful lot at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMurray817)
    Is there any ways that I can build muscle without going to the gym? I really hate th whole atmosphere etc. And I’d like To build muscle at home. I don’t have any weights
    No of course it is not necessary for you to go to the gym.
    Firstly if you are determined enough you will find a way to workout in any situation...
    Personally I am a big fan of calisthenics (body weight training), for which you need no equipment what so ever. That being said I mostly workout at a playground, as I can use the bars for pull ups, chin ups etc.
    In my (admittedly limited) experience body weight training is the most efficient way to gain muscle mass, as you are using all muscle groups and not just training one muscle in isolation.
    Also the skills you can acquire (e.g. muscle ups, handstand , L sits,...) are quite impressive.
    So yes it is perfectly possible and maybe even beneficial (and cheaper) not to workout in the gym. For example calisthenics.

ReputationRep:
    I sort of made a thread on this a while back. I'm 15 years old, and I also work out at home as I do not have any funds to go gym. Its hard without any equipment, but I can assure you I have made (although which may seem very little to the male who hits gym) some gains after a solid 3 months.

I used apps such as Sworkit, and/or guides on the internet. I worked out 30 mins every day, however now I work out 1 hour a day with a day rest, as apparently in order for your biceps to grow you need rest. I sometimes went to my uncles house who has arm bars and dumbbells with varying weights, however I only went for like once a week or something. Yeah it was awkward hearing his grunts ;/

I'd say the most easiest was core, as I managed to get a solid 2 pack, and a a somewhat visible 4 pack, as you can just spam elevated crunches, supine bicycles, twisting crunches and your classical sit ups over and over

ReputationRep:
    Google body weight workouts, all you need is a doorframe in which to fit a pull-up bar and your set. But no routine on earth can make up for a bad diet.............

ReputationRep:
    Here (if you are interested) start with this:
    http://www.barbrothersgroningen.com/...-workout-plan/

ReputationRep:
    Because of pain in my wrists I can’t to push-ups or something, but for my core I generally use the following exercises:
    8 normal sit-ups
    8 sit-ups with my left leg put over my right leg
    8 sit-ups with my legs straight up (with a 90* angle)
    8 sit-ups with right leg put over my left leg
    8 sit-ups to the left
    8 sit-ups to the right
    8 normal sit-ups

After that I plank as long as I can do. If I think I can’t last any longer I try to count to ten.
    After the normal plank I do a plank with my left arm straight forward in the sky and my right leg straight to the back as long as I can last and with the other sides as well.
    Then I do squads first legs close to each other, then at the same place as the shoulders and after that even wider.
    Hope this helps!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.