Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Uni is still a bit away for me but given I’d be the first in my family to go to uni I’m trying to get a head start.

How is Liverpool for trans students? is it a supportive environment?

I hope to be on hormones by then so it might not be a massive issue but I want to be prepared for the worst.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stqrlord)
    Uni is still a bit away for me but given I’d be the first in my family to go to uni I’m trying to get a head start.

How is Liverpool for trans students? is it a supportive environment?

I hope to be on hormones by then so it might not be a massive issue but I want to be prepared for the worst.
    Hi! I'm in my second year at Liverpool and I'm nonbinary, so I can offer my personal experiences so far. This is only my experience though, yours may be totally different.
    1) Coming out to tutors has so far been totally fine. I did it by email, just a polite message explaining that I am nonbinary and why I needed to inform them of this, what pronouns I use, etc. Most responded with "ok, thanks for telling me", one didn't respond but it was a large tutorial group and he didn't speak to me directly anyway (I don't think he knew who I was, and he never said anything that made me believe he was transphobic).
    2) The LGBTQIA+ society is wonderful - a bit haphazard at times, but a lovely group of people who really do care and will be in your corner if anything does go wrong. We recently held a protest outside a church nearby that was practicing a so-called gay cure therapy, which was pretty well-attended for a Thursday night when the buses were striking!
    3) I have so far not had any problems with explicit transphobia, aside from a couple of awkward conversations with other students. This may be in part due to my dislike of clubbing etc - people are less likely to shout at you in a library or a quiet pub than when they're drunk coming out of a nightclub, I expect. Either way, I've not had any particular problems.
    4) I haven't tried to change my gender marker on the uni systems but from what I hear the administration can be a bit funny about that. The LGBTQIA+ society are apparently trying to work on that, but of course these things do take time. Maybe they'll have got it right by the time you get there... They are good about changing names, according to people I know, but I can't speak from experience since I've not changed mine.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask - I can ask someone from the society if I don't know the answer. Hope this helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

University of Liverpool Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Quick links:

Unanswered University of Liverpool ThreadsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other Liverpool applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.