Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently 17, a female and am considering joining the British army after uni.

I have very mild asthma and it hasn't troubled me since i was a little kid.
    But i am still on a prescription of inhalers from my doctor. I am supposed to take it twice a day but i haven't for at least a year. I literally go about my daily life without my inhaler and i play football and other sport so its not like I'm not active.

The army website states that you can't join if you have "Asthma, strong asthma-like symptoms or treatment for related illnesses within the last four years."
    I have read somewhere else that this means you cannot be prescribed inhalers for at least 4 years prior to your admission.

I have my annual asthma review soon and i am wondering what i should say to my doctor seen as i haven't been taking the inhalers all year ....
    I'm sure i remember her telling me last time that i should be taking them, because she could see that i hadn't been prescribed any in a while.
    But i don't see why i should take my inhalers when it doesn't seem like i need them.

So if in a few years i wanted to join the army to be a medic, would i fail the medical due to my asthma history ...???
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by anonomon)
    You usually have to be four years clear of any prescription. Don;t get drugs prescribed if you don't take them.

ReputationRep:
    When you apply you have to give consent for them to access your medical records, so you'll need to go four years without any contact with the NHS relating to it.

ReputationRep:
    Well i would think it would be an issue if im honest my friend just go through her medical with no issues they didnt evan look twice at her she has asthma and an inhaler currently 2x daily i thought it was impossible but she is running through it all now idk how she will do it since she needs her inhaler at basic and what would happen if the find it

ReputationRep:
    *shrug* they've changed their stance on asthma a good few times between 'no' '4 years' & 'meh, how bad is it?' But i suspect they will go by the last prescription date, not when you say you last used it.

I was in the same boat when i was younger, had been prescribed an inhaler i never felt the need to use and never had an attack in my life (still true) - and I got a flat no.

Comically i got knocked back for weight/BMI next time (after they decided not to care about asthma) when i was was muscled up with near no fat on me Both times recruiters admitted these rules were bloody stupid and they were having to knock WAY too many people back

ReputationRep:
    Well my friend just got 1 yesterday and will get 1 more before basic on the 2nd i myself personally dont know how its possible since she needs it 2x daily and smokes so not like that helps but she passed medical with no problem at all seems unfair to you truly considering shes been in and out of hospital for many reasons just this year alone and asthma was definantly an issue

ReputationRep:
    So I’m a CMT in the army and I do some of the recruit medicals. I can confirm that at present the guidelines state that you must be four years clear of prescription. You’ll also have a spirometry test done as a supplement to your medical and have to pass a peak flow test.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveboi115)
    So I’m a CMT in the army and I do some of the recruit medicals. I can confirm that at present the guidelines state that you must be four years clear of prescription. You’ll also have a spirometry test done as a supplement to your medical and have to pass a peak flow test.
    If that is true then how come the previous post states that their friend has been able to pass through with no problems?

ReputationRep:
    Im telling you what happened man if thats the truth that you do know for certain then i dont know how she got in because its happening like nothing is an issue asthma everything she didnt need any test anything shes been very ill like hospital ill and evan still its like noone reads her records or anything just okay next person

ReputationRep:
    id also put thats not the only thing she has thats disqualifying she has 6
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by LandoCruz)
    Well i would think it would be an issue if im honest my friend just go through her medical with no issues they didnt evan look twice at her she has asthma and an inhaler currently 2x daily i thought it was impossible but she is running through it all now idk how she will do it since she needs her inhaler at basic and what would happen if the find it
    You are replying to an old thread and it's now closed.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.