Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where has my motivation gone for A-Levels?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my A-Levels next June and have just been set thousands of words of essays (for coursework) due in on Monday and I have written - 4.
    4 words.

I have literally lost all motivation for any kind of work, I don't have any idea what I want to do anymore and this means I have no end goal. I just sit and stare at my notes, I have no idea where to start and just end up panicking and getting upset. Is there anyone who has any advice on where to start with regaining this motivation? I've never felt this exhausted or un-motivated before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marveldinosaur)
    I'm doing my A-Levels next June and have just been set thousands of words of essays (for coursework) due in on Monday and I have written - 4.
    4 words.

I have literally lost all motivation for any kind of work, I don't have any idea what I want to do anymore and this means I have no end goal. I just sit and stare at my notes, I have no idea where to start and just end up panicking and getting upset. Is there anyone who has any advice on where to start with regaining this motivation? I've never felt this exhausted or un-motivated before
    Same like this week I haven't even done my homework and have do it all tomorrow. Haven't read Dracula and we are more than half way through it in Eng lit. I'm also doing maths and bio, they are so hard and it is so depressing when you think you get it and the past paper questions are so hard. Scared for reaching my offer. My advice to you and myself is to start revising topics covered so far and use all free periods and maybe try putting in 2 hrs a day on weekdays and maybe 3 on weekend days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kpa Ninja)
    Same like this week I haven't even done my homework and have do it all tomorrow. Haven't read Dracula and we are more than half way through it in Eng lit. I'm also doing maths and bio, they are so hard and it is so depressing when you think you get it and the past paper questions are so hard. Scared for reaching my offer. My advice to you and myself is to start revising topics covered so far and use all free periods and maybe try putting in 2 hrs a day on weekdays and maybe 3 on weekend days.
    Same! We're doing our English lit coursework (Or supposed to be) and I have only read one of the two books i'm doing it on! yeah good idea! My problem is that I have a part time job on the weekends and it's so much physical labour that I can't do any work when I'm finished!
    I'm so stuck between being told "you're young, enjoy it whilst you're still young" and "you need to be focusing on your studies more than anything"

It's so difficult, I'm actually losing my mind! and my parents think I'm doing loads of revision and work when in reality I'm either sat looking at a blank word document or watching netflix when I give up! I don't want to disappoint them, and my expected grades are so high

ReputationRep:
    I want to start out by saying I'm just some random on the internet so the following is purely my opinion and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Personally, I do not think motivation is something that is reliable. You won't always feel up to the task. To combat this I think it is good to get into a routine. In other words, make a habit of whatever you want to do long term. Habits are not formed quickly but once they are formed you will find yourself unconsciously seeking the next thing to do, even if your current mood is not 'feeling it'.
    Remember balance is important. I have personally had bursts of motivation and burned myself out, leaving no motivation at all.

Start with small tasks related to your studies then work your way up to the bigger tasks and will-power your way through them if needed. If you are truly stumped, don't keep ramming your head against a wall and take a short 5-minute break to clear your mind.

I find that doing work in the morning and relaxing in the afternoon is a good strategy. Remember to stay balanced and plan rest time where you enjoy yourself or literally do nothing for a short while- yes just do nothing and sit somewhere comfortable in as close to silence as you can manage. I find this to be a quick fix for stress however it cannot replace the time you spend doing things you genuinely enjoy but are more time-consuming.

It may help to break down all the things you plan to do into small tasks and write them down. Even if you don't do the majority of those tasks, you have still done more than nothing at all.

I wanted to keep this short, but this post has already gotten a bit longer than I wanted so I'll just stop now. Good luck with your essay, remember that you still have a day to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirlamb)
    I want to start out by saying I'm just some random on the internet so the following is purely my opinion and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Personally, I do not think motivation is something that is reliable. You won't always feel up to the task. To combat this I think it is good to get into a routine. In other words, make a habit of whatever you want to do long term. Habits are not formed quickly but once they are formed you will find yourself unconsciously seeking the next thing to do, even if your current mood is not 'feeling it'.
    Remember balance is important. I have personally had bursts of motivation and burned myself out, leaving no motivation at all.

Start with small tasks related to your studies then work your way up to the bigger tasks and will-power your way through them if needed. If you are truly stumped, don't keep ramming your head against a wall and take a short 5-minute break to clear your mind.

I find that doing work in the morning and relaxing in the afternoon is a good strategy. Remember to stay balanced and plan rest time where you enjoy yourself or literally do nothing for a short while- yes just do nothing and sit somewhere comfortable in as close to silence as you can manage. I find this to be a quick fix for stress however it cannot replace the time you spend doing things you genuinely enjoy but are more time-consuming.

It may help to break down all the things you plan to do into small tasks and write them down. Even if you don't do the majority of those tasks, you have still done more than nothing at all.

I wanted to keep this short, but this post has already gotten a bit longer than I wanted so I'll just stop now. Good luck with your essay, remember that you still have a day to go.
    Thank you so much! It's good advice, I'm just struggling with so much at the moment and then studies on top is too much haha! Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Hello! 😊 Firstly, as you are talking about essays, have you written out some quick plans? Often I find it much easier to start writing essays for coursework if I have a brief outline of where I’m going. I use headings to split my work into sections and then write bullet points underneath. This also allows me to see the whole structure of my essay, so I can change things around if needed.

Also, try and set yourself small, achievable goals. After you’ve written out a plan, sit down and make yourself write 200 hundred words or so, on a certain section- expand on the bullet points. Don’t worry about grammar, punctuation or expression yet, just get your ideas down on paper and you can edit them later. Then give yourself a break and increase it to another 300 words, on the same section or a different one. Your motivation will come back, slowly. It is much easier having to edit an essay and change things around than having not much to work on. Don’t be too hard on yourself- be proud of the fact you have just had motivation to write 200 words!

Honestly, A-Levels are so stressful, and many don’t realise how draining Sixth Form can be. You say you are exhausted, so make sure to not be working late into the evening. Divide up your work in the week to make sure you stop at 5.00 every day, for example. Then read a book, go for a run, spend time with your family or watch TV. It’s so important to look after yourself and your mental health. Trust me, you will feel so much better if you feel refreshed: your motivation will come flooding back.

I really hope this helps you; I know exactly how you are feeling. ❤️ xx
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Normally live by these questions when I’m demotivated: Do you want to get to where you want to be in life? Do you want to make your parents proud?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

I am currently studying at university, so I hope I can give you some useful advice for the future.

First of all, a levels are stressful and everyone who takes them is in the same boat. Coursework is particularly challenging and you will be put off by it at least 30 times before the deadline.

I know how you feel. You want to get the best grades and go to a good uni, you don't want to disappoint your parents and want to meet teachers' expectations. You know what to do when you're faced with such enormous pressure?

DO. NOTHING.

Ok, let me explain. You should definitely try to aim high and try your hardest, but it shouldn't take control of your life. Once you're at uni and applying for internships/placements/etc, nobody will care about grades as much as they will care about your work experience. A*AA, +80% in coursework and position of school prefect will give you no advantage over someone with ABB and relevant work experience, be it volunteering, shadowing, part-time job, on the contrary, it will put you in disadvantage. Trust me, I'm talking from experience.

So my advice is, don't stress about coursework as much as getting relevant extracurriculars to give you an edge when completing applications. After all, the latter will be way more important in the long term.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.