Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I write this in my personal statement or is it irrelevant? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In my personal statement, I have written that I want to do undergraduate studies in Physics. However, I have also written a paragraph (about 100 words) that refers to my deep interest in linguistsics.

After many hours of thinking, I decided to chose Physics for my undergraduate studies, but I cannot just throw Linguistics in the trash just because I will study something else.

So, should I include this in my personal statement or will the people who will read it not care?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have an interest in Physics since I was little. This is what I will study and I won't change it. About Linguistics, my interest started last year BUT I would still like to study it or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apogeotou)
    In my personal statement, I have written that I want to do undergraduate studies in Physics. However, I have also written a paragraph (about 100 words) that refers to my deep interest in linguistsics.

After many hours of thinking, I decided to chose Physics over Linguistics for my undergraduate studies, but I cannot just throw Linguistics in the trash just because I will study something else.

So, should I include this in my personal statement or will the people who will read it not care?

Thanks in advance.
    It will just show that you are still not sure the course you want to study

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apogeotou)

After many hours of thinking, I decided to chose Physics for my undergraduate studies, but I cannot just throw Linguistics in the trash just because I will study something else.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I have an interest in Physics since I was little. This is what I will study and I won't change it. About Linguistics, my interest started last year BUT I would still like to study it or something like that.
    I would dedicate that 100 words to something else physics-related that would be more worth. Linguistics won't relate to the course so an admissions tutor won't take much notice of it.

However, it might be worth including if you're applying to a university that has physics courses with a year abroad (I think that Imperial does this), or if you can make a strong argument as to how it improves you ability to communicate complex ideas.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to talk about subjects you'll take as electives, so just focus on physics

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.