Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm considering career options nit just limiting them to vocational degrees such as pharmacy and optometry although I do find Biology and chemistry interesting. No way considering medicine - just not for me maybe be good for others.
    Anways, I wanted to know that by doing a degree like pharmacy, optometry or even engineering, are career breaks possible? Now what I mean by this is like a month off just to go and I don't know travel when you want to. Now I like travelling and volunteering and reflecting in myself etc if that makes sense but I feel if you take a career break in a medical discipline (in the uk btw) like pharm or optometry you will forget everything and it will look bad on your cv to futute employers??? Is this trur or are career breaks possible . And also, do you think these degrees provide less skills than a generic degree like e.g biomed ?
    Thanks in advance and would appreciate any replies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluebell1234)
    Hi I'm considering career options nit just limiting them to vocational degrees such as pharmacy and optometry although I do find Biology and chemistry interesting. No way considering medicine - just not for me maybe be good for others.
    Anways, I wanted to know that by doing a degree like pharmacy, optometry or even engineering, are career breaks possible? Now what I mean by this is like a month off just to go and I don't know travel when you want to. Now I like travelling and volunteering and reflecting in myself etc if that makes sense but I feel if you take a career break in a medical discipline (in the uk btw) like pharm or optometry you will forget everything and it will look bad on your cv to futute employers??? Is this trur or are career breaks possible . And also, do you think these degrees provide less skills than a generic degree like e.g biomed ?
    Thanks in advance and would appreciate any replies
    I don't know about optometry but as a pharmacist you can locum, save up then travel. A lot of newly qualified pharmacists I have come across go down that route.
    Well if you're taking career breaks every year-18 months then I'm sure that won't look great. If you spend 6months of the year travelling how willing do you think an employer will be to employ you especially in pharmacy where employers can pick and choose whoever they want. Aside from being a locum, and working whenever you want, I don't think career breaks in pharmacy are possible. Will you forget everything? You're bound to because to retain information it's all about repetition.
    To be honest I don't think degrees like pharmacy provide you with less skills. They're vocational degrees, training you to be an expert in a field.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by velvetsky)
    I don't know about optometry but as a pharmacist you can locum, save up then travel. A lot of newly qualified pharmacists I have come across go down that route.
    Well if you're taking career breaks every year-18 months then I'm sure that won't look great. If you spend 6months of the year travelling how willing do you think an employer will be to employ you especially in pharmacy where employers can pick and choose whoever they want. Aside from being a locum, and working whenever you want, I don't think career breaks in pharmacy are possible. Will you forget everything? You're bound to because to retain information it's all about repetition.
    To be honest I don't think degrees like pharmacy provide you with less skills. They're vocational degrees, training you to be an expert in a field.
    Hi thanks for replying,
    Do you know which one pays more- pharm or optom?
    Also what is the future of pharmacy? Are they given more responsibilities? or will their pay go low, is there a saturation etc? does hospital pharm pay less/more than community?
    thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks for replying,
    Do you know which one pays more- pharm or optom?
    Also what is the future of pharmacy? Are they given more responsibilities? or will their pay go low, is there a saturation etc? does hospital pharm pay less/more than community?
    thanks in advance
    Msg today from one chain i work for, saying locum rate CUT from £20/hr to £19/hr and MUST do 2 MURs or will be cut again to £18/hr for that day if none done!!!
    Also consider that a few yrs ago, this small chain was paying me £23/hr !!!
    WAGES ARE GOING DOWN!

DON'T DO PHARMACY KIDS!

certainly if you want to be wealthy or even just have a reasonable work/life balance as the pressure and stress to earn a not that good 30-40k a yr for 5 yrs training is unrelenting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy.chemist)
    Msg today from one chain i work for, saying locum rate CUT from £20/hr to £19/hr and MUST do 2 MURs or will be cut again to £18/hr for that day if none done!!!
    Also consider that a few yrs ago, this small chain was paying me £23/hr !!!
    WAGES ARE GOING DOWN!

DON'T DO PHARMACY KIDS!

certainly if you want to be wealthy or even just have a reasonable work/life balance as the pressure and stress to earn a not that good 30-40k a yr for 5 yrs training is unrelenting
    Hi , but isn't 30-40k quite good? What would you suggest then? Is the same for optom? If you had to choose something else, what would u be?
    Also how much chem is in pharm?
    Isn't 19/hr still a lot? What is MUR

ReputationRep:
    Yes, until you consider the local aldi manager will be on 43 to 50k! look it up! am actually thinking of applying to them or lidl!
    And not answerable to the GPhC! And take into account all the responsibility too.

I would probably do finance/economics/business or now I would look into coding and IT if i was 16/17 now!
    Quite a lot of chem in the first yr, depending where you go

19/hr in pharmacy not a lot when consider the responsibility and talking to older locums a lot were earning that 10/15 yrs ago ! And wages have just stopped going up, and now are going down!!!!
    MUR is medicine use review. And the multiples are mad on them as you get 28 quid for each one and can do upto 400 a yr.

Go and do work experience in a Boots or Lloyds as statistically that is where you will end up, in a high st chain chemist . over 60% of pharmacy grads end up in community pharmacy as the mo.

If i was you, research optometry

ReputationRep:
    Long story short - do optometry. Pharmacy is getting worse, I hear optometry is slowly going that way but nothing like pharmacy. If I could go back I would do optometry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enem2211)
    Long story short - do optometry. Pharmacy is getting worse, I hear optometry is slowly going that way but nothing like pharmacy. If I could go back I would do optometry
    Hi i am definitely not doing pharmacy but in what way is optom also going to become like that! ? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi i am definitely not doing pharmacy but in what way is optom also going to become like that! ? Thanks
    Tbh I’m just going by hearsay. I have a friend who was going to do optometry as a second degree/career change and she spoke to some optoms who said its started to get saturated and more competition but not so bad yet. Also something about potential cuts and eventually staff below getting more roles/responsibilities. Again this could be way in the future I’m not too sure. However I hear their rates are still pretty good. Re the career break I took quite a bit of time away but then came back as a locum and it hasn’t been a problem.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.