Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Optometry, pharmacy, engineering.. career breaks?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm considering career options nit just limiting them to vocational degrees such as pharmacy and optometry although I do find Biology and chemistry interesting. No way considering medicine - just not for me maybe be good for others.
    Anways, I wanted to know that by doing a degree like pharmacy, optometry or even engineering, are career breaks possible? Now what I mean by this is like a month off just to go and I don't know travel when you want to. Now I like travelling and volunteering and reflecting in myself etc if that makes sense but I feel if you take a career break in a medical discipline (in the uk btw) like pharm or optometry you will forget everything and it will look bad on your cv to futute employers??? Is this trur or are career breaks possible . And also, do you think these degrees provide less skills than a generic degree like e.g biomed ?
    Thanks in advance and would appreciate any replies
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluebell1234)
    Hi I'm considering career options nit just limiting them to vocational degrees such as pharmacy and optometry although I do find Biology and chemistry interesting. No way considering medicine - just not for me maybe be good for others.
    Anways, I wanted to know that by doing a degree like pharmacy, optometry or even engineering, are career breaks possible? Now what I mean by this is like a month off just to go and I don't know travel when you want to. Now I like travelling and volunteering and reflecting in myself etc if that makes sense but I feel if you take a career break in a medical discipline (in the uk btw) like pharm or optometry you will forget everything and it will look bad on your cv to futute employers??? Is this trur or are career breaks possible . And also, do you think these degrees provide less skills than a generic degree like e.g biomed ?
    This really depends on the organisation you work for and what their policies are. Some may allow you to take a month off at a time, assuming you have enough holidays, whereas others may limited the amount of consecutive days off you can take. Some may allow unpaid time-off for this. Some may allow you to take a sabbatical, particularly if you want a longer period off.

If you take a month off via holidays, it wouldn't go on your CV, as you don't put holidays on a CV. And you almost certainly won't "forget everything" if you take a month off.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluebell1234)
    Most companies will not allow holidays beyond 2 weeks as standard. But may do if you've been there a while and you request it a long time in advance (at least 6 months).

Longer sabbaticals (nearly always unpaid) will depend on your specific employer, and are usually only offered after 5 years service, if at all...

This is nothing to do with your career path question. If you don't know which career you want it's best to take a gap year and give yourself more time to decide. Maybe use that year to get some work experience in one of the fields and see if you enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.