Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm currently doing my gcses and my ambition is to go to oxbridge/other good unis. My school only offer 9 gcses will this give me a disadvantage considering most applicants have 10 A* or above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HN786)
    Hi I'm currently doing my gcses and my ambition is to go to oxbridge/other good unis. My school only offer 9 gcses will this give me a disadvantage considering most applicants have 10 A* or above
    Well, other candidates might be at a slight advantage owing to their 10 or 11 GCSEs proving them to be capable of balancing more things at the same time...

But then again, if the decision for you to take 9 is out of your control, I guess it can't be used as an actual negative point against you.

Keep in mind that one of Oxford's ways of measuring GCSE performance is the ratio of A*: other grades. If you keep that ratio at near-100% (by getting 8 or 9A*s), you can consider yourself to have performed as well as someone in your position could possibly perform.

Following that, I'm guessing that the admissions tutors may put more emphasis on other bits of your application where there may be more of a difference between you and another applicant.

ReputationRep:
    I would consider speaking with admission at the unis you are interested in, however, if you focus on doing well with what your school offers, I think you will be fine if you, for example have 9 A* or above! And seriously, NOT everyone who gets into Oxford is going to have 10 A* or above, there is going to be some variance in there, meaning if you focus on doing very well in what you are taking, you will not be prejudiced-there will be people who are admitted who will not necessarily be higher than you in their 9 or 10 subjects.

(Original post by HN786)

ReputationRep:
    woooow , Trust me they dont need 10 A*s

I think even for medicine then only need about 6 or 7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HN786)
    That is not true at all. Medicine releases detailed stats so you can see for yourself there - the mean applicant has 8.2A*s (so ~50% will have less than that). Even the average for offer holders only just creeps above 10A*s, with plenty of examples at 9, 8 and 7. And that's for medicine - law will be lower. What you have will be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.