Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    theres about 5 colleges matriculating at the same time in the theatre. and its done alphabetically (e.g. christ church, corpus christi, exeter, etc etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    theres about 5 colleges matriculating at the same time in the theatre. and its done alphabetically (e.g. christ church, corpus christi, exeter, etc etc)
    Or more likely BALLIOL, chch, corpus, ....

ReputationRep:
    I still don't have a clue when mine is... It's not going to be before Freshers' week, is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yannis)
    I still don't have a clue when mine is... It's not going to be before Freshers' week, is it?
    they are all on the saturday of 1st week (i.e. usually the second saturday that you will be there)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    they are all on the saturday of 1st week (i.e. usually the second saturday that you will be there)
    glad to see you're back Elpaw....just in time for us Physicists to ask you millions of questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yannis)
    Or more likely BALLIOL, chch, corpus, ....
    Can't forget Brasenose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    thanks for that. That's cleared one question out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    there's about 5 colleges matriculating at the same time in the theatre. and its done alphabetically (e.g. christ church, corpus christi, exeter, etc etc)
    It's not done alphabetically. It's done by age of college, with Balliol, Merton and Univ rotating, since they can't agree (tho' I think this is just diplomacy, 'cos Merton's clearly oldest. Still, noblesse oblige, and all that).

This sucks, actually, 'cos it means that if you're at one of these colleges you have your matriculation photo at 8AM of Sat of 1st week, when everyone is in absolutely no state to be having photos taken. Mind you, it does mean you're in the pub at opening time.

ReputationRep:
    Pffft, Univ's the oldest.

Anyway, who cares about matriculation photos? Graduation's the only one that counts...

ReputationRep:
    Univ is oldest, and always will be the oldest. :rolleyes:

Then Balliol, followed by Merton.

ReputationRep:
    Baz sounds right, according to their sites, Balliol was founded around 1263, Merton in 1264, and Univ was paid for before 1249, making it most likely the oldest, and is the only one to make any claim to being the oldest that I can find. Merton say's it's one of the 3 ancient colleges, Balliol makes no claim at all, as it has no records, and Univ says it has "a claim to be the oldest College in Oxford or Cambridge".

Not that I'm at all biased

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naszthefirst)
    It's not done alphabetically. It's done by age of college.
    What about this:

"Thankfully, the order in which Colleges must matriculate is decided by simply reversing the most recent Norrington Table of academic success, which means that 1999 will be the year that freshers at St Peter's are first up before dawn, and those at St John's get to lie in their luxurious beds. Marvellous."

(taken from here: http://www.oxfordstudent.com/1999-10-14/columns/2)

I'm confused... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ok, i feel a little bit stupid, but seeing as i only ever skim read anything, but what is matriculation :confused: i know, its totally :eek: that i dont know, and i feel like a bit of a fraud really, applying to Oxford and not knowing! But hey, I'll never know till i ask right?

Lauren

ReputationRep:
    It's the ceremony where you become a member of the university. Mostly in Latin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Baz sounds right, according to their sites, Balliol was founded around 1263, Merton in 1264, and Univ was paid for before 1249, making it most likely the oldest, and is the only one to make any claim to being the oldest that I can find. Merton say's it's one of the 3 ancient colleges, Balliol makes no claim at all, as it has no records, and Univ says it has "a claim to be the oldest College in Oxford or Cambridge".

Not that I'm at all biased
    Merton was the college all others were modelled on (in both Oxford and Cambridge). Balliol was founded earlier, but at that time it was not like colleges today because it was not originally residential.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.