Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Its been a month and a week since being here at university and so far, so good from what I can tell based off my general mood. But nevertheless, there’s still some issues I want to voice out, in my personal life and the observations I’ve made so far. It’s annoying but not enough to talk about it to somebody.

Girls. Majority of the females here are OK. OK meaning “meh”. I haven’t met a girl yet that has sparked any sort of interest, since they all act the same, and are blatantly naïve and too engrossed in boosting their egos by feeling validated because they choose only to associate themselves with the- what I call, “Lads” of the group. The louds lads, the ones who have little regard for what anyone else has to say (and if they do its obvious their faking it). It’s clear that the girls are desperate to meet the prince charming to have sex. but they chicken out, not actually giving the guy a chance. Though by my own general knowledge of psychology of girls, it’s not surprising how some girls act very reserved and shy away from guys who like them. And some on the other hand, literally, from what I saw a week ago or so , flash their tits to 4 guys during a picture and flirt alot during parties whilst having a boyfriend at a different uni at the same time. That’s 2017 relationships for you. noone just doesn't want to admit to the individuals at how unfaithful they are because they want to be "politically correct". idiots. the girl that flashed her tits in my example.. shes my flatmate, recently I told her she should be ashamed of herself and that she deserves no man. Now she acts all nice and weird around me as if she likes me now.. girls these days, i have no sympathy for them apart from the ones where its not their fault. My views on girls have changed alot since being here, i was always raised to be respectful to girls, but to be honest, sometimes you need to be painfully honest with yourself and to them too. or you wont be taken seriously.

Lecturers. Most of the lecturers are okay. Nothing special really. They talk, answer questions, the usual shebang. Though there is one lecturer who clearly rehearses every lecture in front of his bathroom mirror every night. Its funny at how rehearsed it sounds and even more so I’m the only one to realise this.

Weather. Weather here is the same just like in London. crap. Cloudy, cold and miserable. Its winter now nearly so I can’t really blame it, but it’s still crap

WIFI. Whoever installed the WIFI routers in the halls is a idiot. I can’t even have a solid signal on my phone Wi-Fi connection without it disappearing. Its so bloody annoying. I must get up, move all the way to the door, just so that the WIFI can connect again. The retarded moron who placed the routers upstairs instead of the same floor as our rooms, should be sacked from his job and sent to a cow slaughter house. bad wifi signal stresses you out. youll see.

People here in general. one thing is how people act and talk about when there’s little to say. It annoys me when I can’t have a decent conversation with someone because they would rather talk about partying or how tired they feel for the lecture. Isn’t there anything in their lives that they can talk about apart from those topics? I’m not somebody for small talk- in fact, I hate it, can’t stand it. It’s like trying to talk to a dog. You speak then after the conversation that’s it. No progress made. No friendship made, unless the other person feels validated by your presence by whatever reason and decides you might be a good investment in their time.

Now that I’m here, I do consider myself an ethnic minority (since I’m mixed race, oh yeah let me rephrase that “half -cast” as I was called 2 days ago), maybe because pretty much everyone here is white and there is not a lot of black people I meet or talk to. But, I can’t complain. This is midlands, right in the heart of the England, not a smelly ghetto tramp site like East London. I should feel happy, at least people have some class here.

Overall, I’m not sure if I will love the next 3 years being here, but I do know I won’t hate it. so I have high hopes for my 4-year experience here at university. Now I’m just annoyed at how people are still acting even though we are week 5 into university. Is it not obvious we will be here for the next 3 years seeing each other? Haha they make me laugh (not). To put it into perspective for you, I’ve only spoken to 3 people on my course. Anyway hope you liked my rant and hope you have a nice day.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds rough. I reckon the girls will grow more mature & you’ll find yourself a likeminded group of friends you’ll enjoy hanging out with make sure to meet as many new people as possible, and just in order to skip small talk, get to know them etc. Invite them to do something fun & silly and make sure you don’t say “oh yeah we should meet up sometime.....” make sure you ACTUALLY plan it there and then instead of just leaving the idea floating around. Have fun though, university is what you make it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What uni do you go to? It doesn't sound very academic and the people sound quite dumb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmckennaa)
    Sounds rough. I reckon the girls will grow more mature & you’ll find yourself a likeminded group of friends you’ll enjoy hanging out with make sure to meet as many new people as possible, and just in order to skip small talk, get to know them etc. Invite them to do something fun & silly and make sure you don’t say “oh yeah we should meet up sometime.....” make sure you ACTUALLY plan it there and then instead of just leaving the idea floating around. Have fun though, university is what you make it
    Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind, I'll have to go with the proactive approach I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    What uni do you go to? It doesn't sound very academic and the people sound quite dumb.
    Oh it is academic I won't deny that, and it would be very shallow of me to say this goes for all people here but no, just the freshers I've observed I have based this off. But when it comes to work people do take that seriously here, otherwise I would've included it. I wont include name of uni just incase someone here happens to come across this, but its in midslands near nottingham university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conc3pt)
    Its been a month and a week since being here at university and so far, so good from what I can tell based off my general mood. But nevertheless, there’s still some issues I want to voice out, in my personal life and the observations I’ve made so far. It’s annoying but not enough to talk about it to somebody.

Girls. Majority of the females here are OK. OK meaning “meh”. I haven’t met a girl yet that has sparked any sort of interest, since they all act the same, and are blatantly naïve and too engrossed in boosting their egos by feeling validated because they choose only to associate themselves with the- what I call, “Lads” of the group. The louds lads, the ones who have little regard for what anyone else has to say (and if they do its obvious their faking it). It’s clear that the girls are desperate to meet the prince charming to have sex. but they chicken out, not actually giving the guy a chance. Though by my own general knowledge of psychology of girls, it’s not surprising how some girls act very reserved and shy away from guys who like them. And some on the other hand, literally, from what I saw a week ago or so , flash their tits to 4 guys during a picture and flirt alot during parties whilst having a boyfriend at a different uni at the same time. That’s 2017 relationships for you. noone just doesn't want to admit to the individuals at how unfaithful they are because they want to be "politically correct". idiots. the girl that flashed her tits in my example.. shes my flatmate, recently I told her she should be ashamed of herself and that she deserves no man. Now she acts all nice and weird around me as if she likes me now.. girls these days, i have no sympathy for them apart from the ones where its not their fault. My views on girls have changed alot since being here, i was always raised to be respectful to girls, but to be honest, sometimes you need to be painfully honest with yourself and to them too. or you wont be taken seriously.
    Dude, would it kill you to respect people a little? What kind of rubbish is 'knowing the psychology of girls'. Girls are all different. People are all different. Try being a little more accepting of others and don't be so high and mighty, and you will probably enjoy your social life a bit more.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.