Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I am a Hungarian student finishing my Bachelor's degree this year in Economical and Financial Mathematical Analysis at a Hungarian uni. This is quite a unique programme, during which we learn deeper economics than an Economics student at our university, and financial studies than a Finance student, from a quantitative approach. (if all this still makes sense). I, sadly, do not have professional experience.
    I would like to apply to a MSc in Financial Mathematics course in the UK, but I'm not sure they would admit me with the mathematical background I have.
    Here are the maths courses I took and my grades, 1-5, with 5 being the best, 1 failing.
    Analysis 1 (3)
    Analysis 2 (5)
    Algebra 1 (5)
    Algebra 2 (5)
    Statistics (5)
    Econometrics (5)
    Probability (4)
    Dynamic Systems (4)
    Measure Theory (pending)
    Stochastics (pending)
    I also had a lot of economics and finance related classes, my GPA at the moment (after 2 years out of three) is 4.68/5.
    I have read that the best programs in this subject are Oxford-LSE-Imperial-Warwick, and all else after that.
    I was thinking about skipping Oxford and LSE due to the very low admission rate, and applying to Imperial, Warwick, UCL and King's. Do you think my background will be enough to get a chance at any of these?
    Thanks for your help!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge has some financial and applicable maths research, and the Part III programme (the MASt in Mathematics) is extremely prestigious. The issue with Oxford and LSE is less admissions statistics and more cost - they take on more students than you may think, and LSE will not infrequently make offers for other related programmes if you aren't offered a place on the one you applied to.

ReputationRep:
    Do apply to LSE as you tend to have solid background in the course you’re applying for. LSE tends to focus on each individual performance delicately rather than judging on overall grade. I was the one who got rejected by UCL Warwick Imperial but got offer from LSE (and KCL) so if you have strengths in any particular specialization then it’s definitely worth applying to LSE as they take into account every individual aspect of your profile

Best of luck for your application ^_^

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.