Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’m currently doing the new 9-1 OCR GCSE C.S and I don’t find it extremely hard. It’s not easy, but not a subject I find difficult. It’s not very maths inclined either.
    Can somebody please elaborate on how similar this is at a level? I.e the difficulty, the applied maths required etc.

Thank you,
    Kyle.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What A levels are you planning on doing? Tbh most subjects are going to be harder and require a lot more studying and revision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexg99)
    What A levels are you planning on doing? Tbh most subjects are going to be harder and require a lot more studying and revision.
    - French, I know this jump is one of the greatest as it is near fluency.
    - History
    - Computer Science

ReputationRep:
    The exam questions for History are going to be a lot longer you will be writing essays where you will have to focus on structure whilst also remembering a lot of detail. I didn't do computer science or french but a lot of my friends do computer science and have failed their first year, but they didnt really put much effort into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexg99)
    The exam questions for History are going to be a lot longer you will be writing essays where you will have to focus on structure whilst also remembering a lot of detail. I didn't do computer science or french but a lot of my friends do computer science and have failed their first year, but they didnt really put much effort into it.
    Ok thanks :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm in yr 12 so a few months into my alevels - History French Maths and F Maths. So fairly similar to what you're planning on doing. I also found GCSEs fairly easy and pretty boring as I found them too repetitive. But hey, I understand that's just the system.

French - it's one of my favourite subjects and I am really enjoying it. The jump by the end of the two years will be crazy but for now, everything's just turned up a few gears but still manageable although the pace is quite fast. It might be different at your school but if you enjoy the language and don't struggle getting a good gcse grade, you'll do well.

History - you go at a much faster pace than at gcse and much more in detail which I think is making it really interesting. Although early on you realise the structure of an essay is very important and quite tricky.

Essentially, just know it won't remain easy for long and try and get through GCSEs so that you can go onto do what's interesting and a little more challenging at alevel.
    Hope some part of this is useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1Lucia)
    Hey, I'm in yr 12 so a few months into my alevels - History French Maths and F Maths. So fairly similar to what you're planning on doing. I also found GCSEs fairly easy and pretty boring as I found them too repetitive. But hey, I understand that's just the system.

French - it's one of my favourite subjects and I am really enjoying it. The jump by the end of the two years will be crazy but for now, everything's just turned up a few gears but still manageable although the pace is quite fast. It might be different at your school but if you enjoy the language and don't struggle getting a good gcse grade, you'll do well.

History - you go at a much faster pace than at gcse and much more in detail which I think is making it really interesting. Although early on you realise the structure of an essay is very important and quite tricky.

Essentially, just know it won't remain easy for long and try and get through GCSEs so that you can go onto do what's interesting and a little more challenging at alevel.
    Hope some part of this is useful
    Thank you! Your advice on French means a lot and has helped me greatly- my Aunt is French also, ‘ca va m’aide’ :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExamJon54)
    - French, I know this jump is one of the greatest as it is near fluency.
    - History
    - Computer Science
    Hi! I take OCR A level Computer Science and the jump from GCSE isn’t too bad, the theory doesn’t get that much more complex and the exam questions are broadly of a similar style.

The coursework is much more demanding however as it’s a large independent task in which you can do whatever you want within reason. That really does test your programming skill!

Besides that though it doesn’t differ too much from GCSE and the jump is much less than that of other subjects

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilySarah00)
    Hi! I take OCR A level Computer Science and the jump from GCSE isn’t too bad, the theory doesn’t get that much more complex and the exam questions are broadly of a similar style.

The coursework is much more demanding however as it’s a large independent task in which you can do whatever you want within reason. That really does test your programming skill!

Besides that though it doesn’t differ too much from GCSE and the jump is much less than that of other subjects

Good luck!
    Ah wow! My first night on TSR and everybody’s been so helpful!
    Thank you very much 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExamJon54)
    Ah wow! My first night on TSR and everybody’s been so helpful!
    Thank you very much 😊
    TSR happens to be a very useful place!☺️

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.