how do you recycle? Watch

oldboy2007
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am confused when it says "bottle recyclable". does that mean I can just chuck the whole thing in? do i need to remove the cap or the plastic wrapper? if i remove the cap, what about the plastic ring from the cap which is a lot harder / impossible to get off?

or letters with a plastic see through bit. is it the paper that's recyclable or the plastic?

some other containers just say "check with local services" about recycling. do they expect me to take their packaging to the council and ask on a per item basis?

or can I safely ignore all these and chuck everything I think might be recyclable into the recycling bin? are there people paid to sort out what's recyclable and what's not from people's rubbish?
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In regards to bottles, yes I put it all in. I just crush the bottle so more things fit in the box.

With envelopes, only the paper is recyclable. I tear out the plastic window and throw that in the general rubbish bin.

If it says check with local services, I generally don't recycle it, just because I've heard of bin men not emptying your bins if they see a non-recyclable thing in there.

People do have to sort it out, yes, but you make their job easier if you make the effort to put the right things in the recycling.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (146)
18.32%
No (485)
60.85%
Not really bothered about them (166)
20.83%

Watched Threads