Turn on thread page Beta

HELP!!! University student but can I recieve housing benefit? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently on my second year of university and have a baby under 1. I'm looking to move from my parents house but the rent in London is really expensive and my job won't be able to cover the full rent!! But since I am a parent, would I be able to get housing benefit? I know I will be exempt from council tax. Would be really helpful if someone could help me out on here!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Missng)
    Hi, I'm currently on my second year of university and have a baby under 1. I'm looking to move from my parents house but the rent in London is really expensive and my job won't be able to cover the full rent!! But since I am a parent, would I be able to get housing benefit? I know I will be exempt from council tax. Would be really helpful if someone could help me out on here!
    Maybe. But the council will only pay a set amount, which is your local housing allowance. (LHA) Some of your maintenance loan will be counted as income for housing benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Maybe. But the council will only pay a set amount, which is your local housing allowance. (LHA) Some of your maintenance loan will be counted as income for housing benefit.
    Hi, thanks for replying. I don't really think that would be a bother as I dont really get that much maintance loan so hopefully, it should be fine!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.