Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My school predicted Alevel scores for me: A*A*A*A* in Further Mathematics/ Mathematics/ Physics/ Chemistry.
    Does it really necessary to literally achieve these school next year?
    I've applied for Cambridge this year, how much chance will the college ask for 4A* in conditional offer?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fungi-)
    My school predicted Alevel scores for me: A*A*A*A* in Further Mathematics/ Mathematics/ Physics/ Chemistry.
    Does it really necessary to literally achieve these school next year?
    I've applied for Cambridge this year, how much chance will the college ask for 4A* in conditional offer?
    What course?

ReputationRep:
    They were my predicted grades in the same subjects and they gave me an A*AAB offer, that was the final year before the standard offer for STEM subjects increased to A*A*A

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge is known to sometimes give people offers of 4A*+ if that's what you've been predicted, they 'call the bluff'. I have seen a 5A* offer before and there's probably been a 6 or 7 across the years. However, I would stress this is incredibly rare, and often only if you have a very poor part of your application e.g. a bad interview, so they want to be sure of your capabilities by making you get stupidly high grades. Your offer will likely be A*A*AA less likely would be A*A*AB or even A*A*AE (If they're nice). But, they can choose whatever the hell they want, they tailor the offer to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
    What course?
    Engineering, Sidney Sussex college🌞
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Can't find a straight answer beyond the A*A*A* average :https://www.admissions.eng.cam.ac.uk/guide/requirements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
    Can't find a straight answer beyond the A*A*A* average :https://www.admissions.eng.cam.ac.uk/guide/requirements
    The typical offer is lower than this though, A*A*A
    (https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....es/engineering)

It should also be noted that if you receive an offer above the typical one which you then miss by a grade you're likely to be put into the summer pool to see if any of the other colleges want you
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EwanWest)
    The typical offer is lower than this though, A*A*A
    (https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....es/engineering)

It should also be noted that if you receive an offer above the typical one which you then miss by a grade you're likely to be put into the summer pool to see if any of the other colleges want you
    Couldn't find that , so thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    Cambridge is known to sometimes give people offers of 4A*+ if that's what you've been predicted, they 'call the bluff'. I have seen a 5A* offer before and there's probably been a 6 or 7 across the years. However, I would stress this is incredibly rare, and often only if you have a very poor part of your application e.g. a bad interview, so they want to be sure of your capabilities by making you get stupidly high grades. Your offer will likely be A*A*AA less likely would be A*A*AB or even A*A*AE (If they're nice). But, they can choose whatever the hell they want, they tailor the offer to you.
    Jesus christ who did they set a 7 A* offer to like wtf?
    Do you have any evidence of this?
    looooooooooooool
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    My friend got a A*A*AA offer from them for Engineering. He had A*A*A*A predictions. I would imagine that if you get an offer it will be something along similar lines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
    Jesus christ who did they set a 7 A* offer to like wtf?
    Do you have any evidence of this?
    looooooooooooool
    If you read what I put I said I have never seen a 7A* offer, but that's its possible, so I have no evidence. I hope for the student's sake there is no evidence and the offer has never existed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    If you read what I put I said I have never seen a 7A* offer, but that's its possible, so I have no evidence. I hope for the student's sake there is no evidence and the offer has never existed.
    Oh apologies lol. What about the 5 A* one? That and a 4A* offer seem almost unbelievable to me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.