Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Growing my grades - From C's at GCSE to a-Level A*'s Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am going to start this blog (whatever you want to call it), to document my progress, the ups and downs of my life as I try to grow my grades.

Ok so for some background on me:
    I'm 19, i have serious ambitions of going to med school, and have had these ambitions my entire life... BUT, life got in the way and I find myself at 19, living with my boyfriend, about to start working in McDonald's and being increasingly depressed at this situation I've gotten myself into.

So I always knew I would go to college, study Science a-levels and then go into medicine. My whole family knew this, it was what I was going to do. I normally got ok grades in exams without really putting in any work or effort, so at gcse I suppose I got a bit arrogant thinking I didn't need to try, I didn't revise one bit, and I didn't even do any of the work set in school.
    As well as thinking I would get good grades without any hard work, I also was under the stupid assumption that as long as I got into college and tried hard with my a-levels, that GCSES didn't matter anyway...😳

So results day came around and I got these grades:
    English Literature - A*
    English Language- A
    Core Science - B
    Additional Science - B
    History - B
    Sociology- B
    Food Studies - B
    Geography- C (was told this may have been a B, as was only one mark off, didn't even bother to ever find out what it was remarked as)
    Maths - C
    Religious Studies - C

Anyway, so rather undesirable results for a med school hopeful. The day got worse; I turned up at the college to enrol onto Science a-levels, only to be informed that due to my C in maths I would not be able to take the alevels I needed. This was devastating to me, as I could've easily gotten A's & A*'s at GCSE if I'd only put some effort in, this was all my own fault, and I really just didn't realise that GCSE's were even important, as long as I didn't completely fail them I thought I'd be alright.

So in a panic I had to choose some different a levels, as I was worried at this time there was no chance of going to university to study medicine so I'd have to suddenly find something else to be interested in, I chose:
    English Literature, History, Sociology, and Government & Politics.
    Anyway, long story short, I did that for just under a year, found it extremely hard to have ANY interest in it since I knew I wanted to be doing something else, so when the exams came up in the first year I knew I had no chance, so I decided to drop out of college and not attend the exams.

My parents were devastated, but like me they still wished I was on track to going into medicine as well.
    They thought there was no hope for me at this point.

So I spent all of summer trying to think of something else I could do instead, I found a Creative Media Production course at a college that I thought looked interesting , I looked around online at different film schools & university courses and told my parents, "I'm going to make films!" They thought this was brilliant, I won't be just sitting around the house and working a rubbish minimum wage job forever then.
    In the summer before starting college again I also found a boy who I got in a relationship with, and spent all day and night talking to him on the phone.

So September came around and I started this course. After the first month me and this boy met up in London to go to a concert for our first proper date. My parents were a little worried as I was spending so much time with this boy how could I possibly be doing any college work - they were right, I wasn't. Inevitably as much as I was interested in making films, being a doctor was still what truly interested me. By the end of October my teacher came to me and told me they had to kick me off the course because I'd missed so much work. I was happy and didn't want to be there anyway, but knew my parents would freak out. And so they did.

I had some months of sitting in my house working a weekend job not doing anything useful - I'd spend one week at my parents house, then the next week at my boyfriends house, and so on and so on, until December - I told my parents I was moving out, and going to live with my boyfriend over 200 miles away from them. They were devastated, February came and I moved out.
    After months of job searching at my new home, I started a Business Admin apprenticeship - definitely not something which interested me but now I had my own bills to pay I needed something for money. I did that for a year and hated it, until September 2017 when my boss told me he wasn't going to renew my contract, so I left that.
    This brings me to now where I've found another job - McDonald's, and have decided I really do need to go back to college - the problem being because I don't live with my parents anymore, I can't just pop off to college full time - I need to work to pay bills, and a level courses aren't part time. I thought about paying to study them from home through open study college or something like that, but with all of the exams & practical assessments it's far too expensive.

I've realised what I need to do:
    I'm going to work as many hours as I can at McDonald's, meanwhile until September, I will study a maths gcse from home with open study college, I know I can get above a C in this. When September comes around hopefully I will have the required grades to enrol onto my science a levels, and hopefully the McDonald's job will be flexible enough to fit around this, and still give me enough money to pay for my bills. I aim to work as hard as possible to make this dream reality - I've definitely learnt my lesson the hard way!

On the boyfriend situation, I've still not told him of my plans, I'm worried he won't think it's a good idea, or will think I'm not smart enough to go to med school anyway so will think it's a wast of time.

I understand the next few years are going to be hard, but it really is my dream and I'm willing to do anything required to make it happen!
    If that means re-sitting maths at GCSE, doing great in my a levels but still not getting into med school due to my GCSE's, then I will re sit each and every one of them until I have perfect grades so I can get in. I don't care how long it takes to happen, as long as it does!

Sorry for the ridiculously long story, but you know a lot has happened since leaving school. Hopefully someone will be interested to read of my efforts anyway, and I will be posting updates on here all the time.

Wish me luck🤓😬
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McGowan98)
    Hello, I am going to start this blog (whatever you want to call it), to document my progress, the ups and downs of my life as I try to grow my grades.

Ok so for some background on me:
    I'm 19, i have serious ambitions of going to med school, and have had these ambitions my entire life... BUT, life got in the way and I find myself at 19, living with my boyfriend, about to start working in McDonald's and being increasingly depressed at this situation I've gotten myself into.

So I always knew I would go to college, study Science a-levels and then go into medicine. My whole family knew this, it was what I was going to do. I normally got ok grades in exams without really putting in any work or effort, so at gcse I suppose I got a bit arrogant thinking I didn't need to try, I didn't revise one bit, and I didn't even do any of the work set in school.
    As well as thinking I would get good grades without any hard work, I also was under the stupid assumption that as long as I got into college and tried hard with my a-levels, that GCSES didn't matter anyway...😳

So results day came around and I got these grades:
    English Literature - A*
    English Language- A
    Core Science - B
    Additional Science - B
    History - B
    Sociology- B
    Food Studies - B
    Geography- C (was told this may have been a B, as was only one mark off, didn't even bother to ever find out what it was remarked as)
    Maths - C
    Religious Studies - C

Anyway, so rather undesirable results for a med school hopeful. The day got worse; I turned up at the college to enrol onto Science a-levels, only to be informed that due to my C in maths I would not be able to take the alevels I needed. This was devastating to me, as I could've easily gotten A's & A*'s at GCSE if I'd only put some effort in, this was all my own fault, and I really just didn't realise that GCSE's were even important, as long as I didn't completely fail them I thought I'd be alright.

So in a panic I had to choose some different a levels, as I was worried at this time there was no chance of going to university to study medicine so I'd have to suddenly find something else to be interested in, I chose:
    English Literature, History, Sociology, and Government & Politics.
    Anyway, long story short, I did that for just under a year, found it extremely hard to have ANY interest in it since I knew I wanted to be doing something else, so when the exams came up in the first year I knew I had no chance, so I decided to drop out of college and not attend the exams.

My parents were devastated, but like me they still wished I was on track to going into medicine as well.
    They thought there was no hope for me at this point.

So I spent all of summer trying to think of something else I could do instead, I found a Creative Media Production course at a college that I thought looked interesting , I looked around online at different film schools & university courses and told my parents, "I'm going to make films!" They thought this was brilliant, I won't be just sitting around the house and working a rubbish minimum wage job forever then.
    In the summer before starting college again I also found a boy who I got in a relationship with, and spent all day and night talking to him on the phone.

So September came around and I started this course. After the first month me and this boy met up in London to go to a concert for our first proper date. My parents were a little worried as I was spending so much time with this boy how could I possibly be doing any college work - they were right, I wasn't. Inevitably as much as I was interested in making films, being a doctor was still what truly interested me. By the end of October my teacher came to me and told me they had to kick me off the course because I'd missed so much work. I was happy and didn't want to be there anyway, but knew my parents would freak out. And so they did.

I had some months of sitting in my house working a weekend job not doing anything useful - I'd spend one week at my parents house, then the next week at my boyfriends house, and so on and so on, until December - I told my parents I was moving out, and going to live with my boyfriend over 200 miles away from them. They were devastated, February came and I moved out.
    After months of job searching at my new home, I started a Business Admin apprenticeship - definitely not something which interested me but now I had my own bills to pay I needed something for money. I did that for a year and hated it, until September 2017 when my boss told me he wasn't going to renew my contract, so I left that.
    This brings me to now where I've found another job - McDonald's, and have decided I really do need to go back to college - the problem being because I don't live with my parents anymore, I can't just pop off to college full time - I need to work to pay bills, and a level courses aren't part time. I thought about paying to study them from home through open study college or something like that, but with all of the exams & practical assessments it's far too expensive.

I've realised what I need to do:
    I'm going to work as many hours as I can at McDonald's, meanwhile until September, I will study a maths gcse from home with open study college, I know I can get above a C in this. When September comes around hopefully I will have the required grades to enrol onto my science a levels, and hopefully the McDonald's job will be flexible enough to fit around this, and still give me enough money to pay for my bills. I aim to work as hard as possible to make this dream reality - I've definitely learnt my lesson the hard way!

On the boyfriend situation, I've still not told him of my plans, I'm worried he won't think it's a good idea, or will think I'm not smart enough to go to med school anyway so will think it's a wast of time.

I understand the next few years are going to be hard, but it really is my dream and I'm willing to do anything required to make it happen!
    If that means re-sitting maths at GCSE, doing great in my a levels but still not getting into med school due to my GCSE's, then I will re sit each and every one of them until I have perfect grades so I can get in. I don't care how long it takes to happen, as long as it does!

Sorry for the ridiculously long story, but you know a lot has happened since leaving school. Hopefully someone will be interested to read of my efforts anyway, and I will be posting updates on here all the time.

Wish me luck🤓😬
    Good luck! I, for one, will be interested to read of your efforts!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.