Academic scholarship
    Young enterprise
    (Katling trust)

Work experience:
    Lambing
    Equine hospital x2
    Small animals x 3
    Event yard management
    (Hoping to do work experience abroad if I get funding from Katling trust)

I don't know wether to apply straight to vet school next year or do a bio veterinary science course, then graduate VetMed course? Please let me know what you think!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Its cheaper to do all in one course also I think you've got a good chance
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vet_dreamer)
    My options are:
    Edinburgh
    Bristol
    Surrey
    Liverpool

GCSE grades:
    Double science - AB
    English Lang - A
    English Lit - A*
    Maths - A
    Geography - A*
    PE - A
    RS - A

A level aim:
    Geography - A*
    Chemistry - A
    Biology - A
    EPQ (VetMed based) - A

Achievements (outside of school):
    Regional hockey player
    County swimmer
    Successfully evented to BE90 & UA100

Achievements (inside of school):
    Senior prefect
    Todmans duty
    House official
    EAL interviewer
    1st team for all sport
    Academic scholarship
    Young enterprise
    (Katling trust)

Work experience:
    Lambing
    Equine hospital x2
    Small animals x 3
    Event yard management
    (Hoping to do work experience abroad if I get funding from Katling trust)

I don't know wether to apply straight to vet school next year or do a bio veterinary science course, then graduate VetMed course? Please let me know what you think!
    Moving this to the Veterinary Medicine and sciences forum so they can help better

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT apply to vet as a second degree as you will have to self fund the tuition fees, which atm is around 45k. If you acheive those grades, then you could definitely apply straight to vet school. A few points to consider though. Firstly, i would consider getting a broader range of work experience. You deffo have enough clinical experience (assuming that you did each placement for a week) but your husbandry experience isnt amazing. Look at kennels, catteries, abbatoirs, riding schools, broader farm work. Also work experience abroad normally only counts for 1 week max due to widening participation, just to bear in mind. I would check on the vet schools website about your GCSE grades, as i dont know if AB in science is good enough. I think most unis are okay with GCSE resits so that would be easy to resit with your a-level knowledge. Are those your only uni options? As Edinburgh dont accept any applicant with resits outside the two years so you might not be able to apply there, but best to check yourself. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    The biggest issue I can see would be your double science GCSE. It depends on specific vet schools but typically they want individual Physics, Chemistry and Biology GCSE grades of A so I would imagine them to expect AA in double science. However if you achieve those A level results/good predictions it is probable you would make it to interview!
    Work experience is an area that could be improved however. Small and Farm animal husbandry other than lambing would greatly improve your application! Getting some in a kennel/cattery type environment and a dairy or beef farm would be useful. Also as good as experience is abroad make sure the schools you are applying to will count it as some may say it is unfair on others and not include it. Similarly if you have just completed GCSE make sure the work experience you have done will still count when you come to apply - some are specific on the time prior to application that your experience was completed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.