Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am starting the NEA this Tuesday, but I feel really unprepared, I have been told I will be doing the quiz, but am really unsure on how to write it.
    Are you guys going to write a GUI and how long are you expecting your code to be?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone pls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefundude83)
    Anyone pls
    I start the NEA tomorrow, but I'm so unprepared because we missed lots because our teacher was absent for 11 months! We are not using a GUI, instead we are using Python to output questions and a text file to store data. I don't know what one we are doing, but I think we might be doing the quiz as we did a practise quiz last week in class where we learned how to store data in text files. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loci Pi)
    I start the NEA tomorrow, but I'm so unprepared because we missed lots because our teacher was absent for 11 months! We are not using a GUI, instead we are using Python to output questions and a text file to store data. I don't know what one we are doing, but I think we might be doing the quiz as we did a practise quiz last week in class where we learned how to store data in text files. Good luck
    could you briefly explain what you learnt...or how to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbz)
    Sorry, I'm really bad at explaining things. There are some good YouTube videos that helped so they are good for learning/revision. For the NEA it would be useful to learn how to read, write and append text files.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loci Pi)
    My teacher has been an OCR examiner since he qualified as a teacher more or less. He said that a GUI will not net you extra marks, or will likely get you 1, maybe 2. Programming in the NEA is 18 marks iirc, and it is more than possible to get every one without using a GUI. Spend your time on the write up, explanation etc, thats where all the marks are more or less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbz)
    I would love to explain on here how to read/write to text files, but this is a really good explanation. Also i've got a english test tomorrow so i need to revise lol:

https://python101.pythonlibrary.org/...8_file_io.html

ReputationRep:
    At GCSE you do not need a GUI. As someone said above the actual programming isn't worth many marks compared to other aspects (design, testing, evaluation etc.) so don't worry if you can't/don't do a GUI.

ReputationRep:
    Could you send me your code for the nea please? thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.