Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    "An element X forms compounds XCl2 and XBr2. The dibromide is completely converted to the dichloride when it js heated in a stream of chlorine:
    XBr2 + Cl2 -> XCl2 + Br2
    When 1.500g of XBr2 is treated, 0.890g of XCl2 is formed.
    Calculate the relative atomic mass of X and, using the periodic table, identify element X"

Can somebody please explain how you would approach this question. I have looked in my textbooks and online but can't find anything for reacting masses calculations like this. I am so stuck. Thank you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this is pretty hard for AS chemistry, it involves algebra. I've worked it through, my answer was a little off - probably because of a rounding error, but I'm pretty sure I've got to the right answer. I'll include a picture of my work through. Hope it helps. Name:  F88913E2-92DE-4B1A-A099-61E67A6E99EF.jpg.jpeg
Views: 25
Size:  37.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh thank you so much. I really appreciate that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydia.grace)
    Ahhh thank you so much. I really appreciate that.
    No worries, feel free to pm me with any more

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 31, 2017
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.