Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to study French and Italian at St. Hilda's - for my French piece, can I translate an analytical essay I have done on Shakespeare in English? Or does it have to be a topic focused on by my French syllabus?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm currently studying at Oxford for French and English. For my French essay, I wrote an essay on some French plays I'd read independently rather than on my French syllabus. However, I know plenty of people wrote on their A-level topics and that was fine too. I think the quality of your language is what will matter most. I'm not sure whether translation is the best idea though, it would be better to write with a 'french' frame of mind, otherwise you risk it being too anglicised! Hope it all goes well for you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.