Turn on thread page Beta

First time buyers in 2020 London will need to earn £106000 to buy a house watch

ReputationRep:
    http://londonist.com/2016/04/first-t...ouse-in-london

ReputationRep:
    Looks like you engineers and computer scientists should be alright.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    most engineers only get around 60k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyoustele)
    most engineers only get around 60k
    Don’t tell that to the ones expecting a 6 digit graduate salary
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Wow, that is very high. I guess if you have a partner then its 50k each but that's still a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like ******** to me! I reckon London house prices will (continue to) fall in the short term, due to Brexit-related matters.

ReputationRep:
    So... for all the law grads out there... it's getting into a US law firm or buying lifetime membership of Generation Rent

ReputationRep:
    They already cost a bomb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    So... for all the law grads out there... it's getting into a US law firm or buying lifetime membership of Generation Rent
    Yeah Latham&Watkins or live in Bolton, your choice haha

ReputationRep:
    London is in decline, Manchester has huge potential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    London is in decline, Manchester has huge potential.
    Huge potential sure but not the potential to become London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Huge potential sure but not the potential to become London
    It'll be the North alternative to London. I also wouldn't rule that out in 10-15 years things might take a turn.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be the North alternative to London. I also wouldn't rule that out in 10-15 years things might take a turn.
    It highly doubt it. There's a lot more investment into London. Pretty much every major corporation has their headquarters here. It continues to attract talent from across the UK and the world in a way that Manchester doesn't. The chance of Manchester becoming a global city on the scale of today's London is minuscule. Perhaps Paris or Frankfurt have a chance, Manchester no way.

ReputationRep:
    There's no way that a city with no global significance apart from their football teams and with a 1/4 of the population of London, with far worse infrastructure and transport, is ever going to be a real challenger to London in terms of attracting workers to go live there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    It highly doubt it. There's a lot more investment into London. Pretty much every major corporation has their headquarters here. It continues to attract talent from across the UK and the world in a way that Manchester doesn't. The chance of Manchester becoming a global city on the scale of today's London is minuscule. Perhaps Paris or Frankfurt have a chance, Manchester no way.
    But what happens when new graduates begin to have negative viewpoints of London? I'm also talking about UK wealth not Europe's financial centre.

ReputationRep:
    Salaries aren't moving though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    There's no way that a city with no global significance apart from their football teams and with a 1/4 of the population of London, with far worse infrastructure and transport, is ever going to be a real challenger to London in terms of attracting workers to go live there.
    What is the:

Rent
    House prices
    Crime
    Schools
    Food prices
    Salaries

Like?

A £30 000 salary in London is almost bare minimum for a flat share. £22 000 in Manchester would be able to get you go buy a flat.

ReputationRep:
    1929 all over again

ReputationRep:
    What is the:

Rent
    House prices
    Crime
    Schools
    Food prices
    Salaries

Like?

A £30 000 salary in London is almost bare minimum for a flat share. £22 000 in Manchester would be able to get you go buy a flat.
    Says a lot about Manchester doesn't it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yaboi)
    Says a lot about Manchester doesn't it.
    Maybe I'm being too mature in thinking about cities then.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2017
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.