Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

A vehicle of mass 800 kg moving at a speed of 15.0 m s-1 collides with a vehicle of mass 1200 kg moving in the same direction at a speed of 5.0 ms-1. The two vehicles lock together on impact.

Calculate:

The velocity of the two vehicles immediately after impact?

I get how to calculate the initial momentum but no idea after that... I asked my teacher who gave me the answer of 800(15)+1200(5)=2000v--->v=9 m/s

That answer helps me on no way as I don’t understand it? Can anyone help me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lambert87)
    Hello,

A vehicle of mass 800 kg moving at a speed of 15.0 m s-1 collides with a vehicle of mass 1200 kg moving in the same direction at a speed of 5.0 ms-1. The two vehicles lock together on impact.

Calculate:

The velocity of the two vehicles immediately after impact?

I get how to calculate the initial momentum but no idea after that... I asked my teacher who gave me the answer of 800(15)+1200(5)=2000v--->v=9 m/s

That answer helps me on no way as I don’t understand it? Can anyone help me?
    Momentum is equal meaning that Mass x velocity before and after are equal.
    You teacher wrote that the total velocity of the two vehicles is equal to the total mass x final velocity after they collided.

To get the answer rearrange the equation he gave you to find V
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.