Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I revise for GCSE English Language? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm in Year 11 and the only subject I find hard to actually revise is English language? How can I revise for it? Read books? Help. How did you all revise for it if you've finished your GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    Memorise the mark scheme as well as some vocabulary, and do past papers. That’s it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwant2die)
    So, I'm in Year 11 and the only subject I find hard to actually revise is English language? How can I revise for it? Read books? Help. How did you all revise for it if you've finished your GCSEs?
    The previous poster is correct. Just to add to what they've said, if you can, get your teacher to mark some of the practices you do, because it's hard to mark them yourself.

ReputationRep:
    past papers for the reading paper just to time yourself and make sure your making the relevant points for each of the 4 questions. If I remember correctly you only get 10 marks for each question and have an hour to complete the exam. Just time yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Do a set of cheat sheets or mind maps for each paper. Then watch Mr Bruff's videos, his pretty good. Read as much new text of different eras as you can. Just the first page would do, and try to see what the inferred meaning is to each. Learn the Technical devices and sentence structures etc. Oh and the basics around, verbs, adverbs, nouns adjectives and discourse markers.

Hope that helps..

ReputationRep:
    I never did a single past paper (apart from the ones we had to do at school) but on the night of the exam I memorised the mark scheme I.e. What they wanted from me to get the best marks.

I guess the reason why I didn't do any actual revision for English was probably because I was already good at it - BUT the reason why I was good at it was because for my homework (and coursework) I always tried to make my work more sophisticated by using a thesaurus (the one on ms word lol) so literally I could come up with the most basic interpretation imaginable but because my work sounded sophisticated, I got the top marks. I also used a structure with my work e.g. I made sure I had the basic point, evidence and analysis and then I would add context, alternative interpretations, reader's reaction, writer's intention etc. Based on what the question asked for.

This is probably the most useless advice but People don't learn and revise the same so if you haven't given past papers a go, then there's no harm in trying, it could work for you - good luck!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you know the structures you should use to answer all of the questions. Going over past-papers will be handy and especially for the creative writing segment practice will indeed make perfect. I personally vent my frustration down into a notebook but write it in a figurative and expressive way. It's funny how I've managed to pair self-care and revision!

ReputationRep:
    I second the idea to watch Mr Bruff, I couldn't have got my grades without him.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.