Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Boyfriend doesnt want me going to same uni? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin Hodge)
    He fitna get SUCKED AWFFFF at uni :holmes:
    Spoiler:
    Show

But seriously, you gotta make your decision based on what’s right for you and not him. It’s your life and our career. What if you listen to him and then down the line break up with him? He may have ruined your life.

AYYYMEEENN Brootha....

I always thought couples going to the same uni was stupid. Uni is only 3 years (usually) anyway, and every single time, where I've known a couple has purposely gone to the same uni, it ends up not working out. Without fail.

ReputationRep:
    what uni does bf go to

ReputationRep:
    That’s horrible! I can’t believe he’s being so unsupportive. Honestly, your education and what you want is way more important than him worrying about ‘independence’ - which won’t be affected anyway. My brother and his girlfriend both go to Swansea Uni (they got together in Year 12 beforehand) and they choose when they meet each other, have separate circles of friends and if anything, they’re closer now than they were before. If your boyfriend is really that dead set against it, I would either ignore him and follow your heart or perhaps consider why he is saying that and talk to him. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Like someone else said. He's getting off with other women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    AYYYMEEENN Brootha....

I always thought couples going to the same uni was stupid. Uni is only 3 years (usually) anyway, and every single time, where I've known a couple has purposely gone to the same uni, it ends up not working out. Without fail.
    Das a clean sermon from pastor gainz. PRAISE GAWD.

You’re going to uni for 3-4 years to get a degree, not to date. You need to tell him to FAWK OUT DA WHEY and do WHATEVA THE FAWK YOU WANNA DO. Your career comes before ANY relationship. Do what’s right for YOU.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to go there regardless of him then go for it - but don’t count on him still being with you by the time you go

ReputationRep:
    he ain't loyal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurabev)
    Basically, im applying for university for 2018 and i have gotten five choices but i personally want to choose a strong 3. So far my first is Bristol, then followed by Nottingham but im torn between choosing Swansea for my third choice.
    This is because my boyfriend goes here already, we've talked about it before and he says that it'll just be a bad idea if i go to the same university as him as we wont have as much independence (which i can understand).
    But, i recently went to an open day there and it was honestly perfect for me, as the course structure of the course i want to do was really good and the resources there were great.
    But every time i mention something about the uni to him he will automatically say something negative about it in return to try and persuade me to dislike it.
    Its getting to the point now where i feel pressured to not even consider it or apply for it at all because i dont want to make him annoyed. I wouldn't even be going for him, as for me my education is more important. I would be going because its a really good university and its close to my home (Cardiff).
    What do i do? im getting stressed with it and he's just pressuring me not to go, yet he always talks trash about my first choice Bristol.

imo either he's already been getting upto stuff he'd rather you not find out about [so doesn't want you to join the uni]

or he's planning on getting upto stuff he'd rather you not find out about

any normal guy would be pleased, or possibly indifferent to his gf joining his uni

this guy seems most put out at the thought of it and that is very fishy if you ask me......

ReputationRep:
    Go for the course, even if he is there and doesn't like it. He should not influence your decision.
    Don't go there just because he is and don't not go there because he is there.
    I know it may be hard, but when it comes to university it is your choice and your life, so don't think about him when it comes to making the decision

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree with everyone else. This should be your decision. University is a very big commitment and you should be happy with it.

Sounds to me like he may be hiding something
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Its getting to the point now where i feel pressured to not even consider it or apply for it at all because i dont want to make him annoyed. I wouldn't even be going for him, as for me my education is more important. I would be going because its a really good university and its close to my home (Cardiff).
    What do i do? im getting stressed with it and he's just pressuring me not to go, yet he always talks trash about my first choice Bristol.
    Honestly, reading this made me feel a little annoyed. As far as you're corcerned, you just want somewhere that looks good and is convienient for you. To me, seems like he's hiding a little something. Anyways, if you wanna go there then you go there. Only people who should be telling you what to do is your parents

ReputationRep:
    Basically, im applying for university for 2018 and i have gotten five choices but i personally want to choose a strong 3. So far my first is Bristol, then followed by Nottingham but im torn between choosing Swansea for my third choice.
    This is because my boyfriend goes here already, we've talked about it before and he says that it'll just be a bad idea if i go to the same university as him as we wont have as much independence (which i can understand).
    But, i recently went to an open day there and it was honestly perfect for me, as the course structure of the course i want to do was really good and the resources there were great.
    But every time i mention something about the uni to him he will automatically say something negative about it in return to try and persuade me to dislike it.
    Girl, dump him. If he loved you he would respect your choices. Talk it over to him and if he keeps disrespecting you just straight up go for the good choice in the long run and attend your preferred university, if he then wants to keep badmouthing it, dump the heck out of him

ReputationRep:
    How long have you been together? He definitely seems to be hiding something from you. You would expect he would want to be closer to you if your relationship was going well

ReputationRep:
    Do what's right for you. You might not even be together by the time you go to uni. And you can still maintain independence while both being in the same city. If you don't choose a uni you want then you'll resent your partner for it.

ReputationRep:
    Only echoing what everyone else has said, but seriously, do what YOU want to do. And if that means putting Swansea down as your first choice then do it. Sounds to me like there's something going on here other than just 'wanting independence', and if you don't go to the uni you want to and then break up with your bf anyway, you'll have a lot of regret and resentment!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.