Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Since the population is increasing without any thought...those that are left to die (e..g due to illness/injury) should just be left alone without any help or effort to save them?

Is it important for people to die to allow the coming generations to take over?

ReputationRep:
    This is an argument based on lack of resources and the demand>supply.

ReputationRep:
    population control is important, and to an extent I agree, but only to a very minor extent.

I currently have an elder friend-of-the-family who is nearing death, he is 94 and will probably pass away within the next few days. He has stopped drinking and its really just a matter of waiting now.

Its awfully sad for all involved - but more so because of how prolonged it is. Its been a good year now of his health being in a position that renders him pretty much unable to function in any normal way. I think deep down many of us would have been happier if he had just quitely and peacefully passed away back before he deteriorated to the point he has now.

I would in this case be in favor of euthanasia as a means to peacefully end someones life at an appropriate time.

Instead what has happend is one year of intensive healthcare, resulting in just prolonging the inevitable and extending the sadness for all involved, all at the expense of both the UK tax payer and his decedents who were having their families wealth whittled away by health care firms and bills.

---

That being said, I view the burden of our aging population as a much smaller problem then the breakdown of our family units.

The problem of housing would be very quickly resolved if the elderly were happy to live with their children (and their children were happy to have them). What we should have is older generations living and being taken care of by their younger counterparts, not what we have at the moment which is both parties striving for as much indpendance as possible, whilst not realising that the outcomes are better if they are together.

Old people bennifit hugely from living with their younger family. regular communcation and interaction is so important for old peoples health.. and equally younger families bennifit hugely from living with older relitives: free child care, help towards the cost of their own home (if the older generation sell up and move in together), experiance when life throws problems their way, etc.

Anyway, Its not going to go the way I want it to.. we are moving further away from my ideal, not closer towards it.

ReputationRep:
    I am in my 70th year and I intend to be as independent for as long as I can. I have 7 adult children and they will ensure that I can remain at home for as long as it's possible to do so. For myself, I won't want to live beyond a time when I cannot look after myself or have the support of my children to do so.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.