Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to university this year, and I was aiming to get predicted grades around AAA for my subjects maths, computer science, and physics, however I didn't really do as well as I hoped last year because I didn't do much work. I ended up getting a low B overall in AS maths, an A in my computing mock, and a D in my physics mock. My predicted grades are currently ACC (computing, maths, physics), but I think I could probably ask for my predicted maths grade to be moved up to a B, maybe even an A, but my physics predicted grade won't be changing.

I don't really know what unis to apply to, because before my results I was thinking durham, leeds etc. which have requirements of AAA for my course, but obviously now I can't apply to them. I can't really find any unis I'm actually interested in going to, that have similar offers to my grades.

I don't know if it's worth applying to any unis that have entry requirements higher than my predicted grades, as I did really well at GCSE (9A*s and 1A), and wondered if they could help my application a bit?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiera_)
    I'm applying to university this year, and I was aiming to get predicted grades around AAA for my subjects maths, computer science, and physics, however I didn't really do as well as I hoped last year because I didn't do much work. I ended up getting a low B overall in AS maths, an A in my computing mock, and a D in my physics mock. My predicted grades are currently ACC (computing, maths, physics), but I think I could probably ask for my predicted maths grade to be moved up to a B, maybe even an A, but my physics predicted grade won't be changing.

I don't really know what unis to apply to, because before my results I was thinking durham, leeds etc. which have requirements of AAA for my course, but obviously now I can't apply to them. I can't really find any unis I'm actually interested in going to, that have similar offers to my grades.

I don't know if it's worth applying to any unis that have entry requirements higher than my predicted grades, as I did really well at GCSE (9A*s and 1A), and wondered if they could help my application a bit?
    It's quite risky to try for AAA entry requirements when you're on ACC, it would probably be best to take a gap year and apply once you've got your grades instead.

ReputationRep:
    I second claireestelle's point.

I feel that it's too risky to apply to a university that you may not like, care about, or feel is all that good, just because of predicted grades.

I feel what would enhance your chances to go to a uni that YOU truly would want to go to is to work really hard this year, and try not to get distracted by this talk on university, take a gap year with v good grades, or the AAA you're wanting, build up a monster personal statement, and come back an even greater beast in 2019.

ReputationRep:
    I'm essentially in the same spot as you - 5A* + 5A at GCSE, D in AS Maths, predicted A* (Computing), B (Maths, hoping to push up to an A in December mocks), B (Physics).
    Looking at the big Unis (for computer science, at least), my best bet is access schemes/contextual offers. For Leeds, I'm going through Access To Leeds and hoping to get a lowered offer; for Bristol, there are contextual offers based on what school you go to. These things are out there, go looking for them!
    Also, make sure your personal statement + reference are amazing, then hope for the best.

ReputationRep:
    I always see so many people get low grades in Physics and it’s kinda worrying. Is it generally a really hard subject or is it because of the increase of STEM so more people take it?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fonzworth)
    I always see so many people get low grades in Physics and it’s kinda worrying. Is it generally a really hard subject or is it because of the increase of STEM so more people take it?
    In my case, it's been pretty badly taught compared to my other subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    It's quite risky to try for AAA entry requirements when you're on ACC, it would probably be best to take a gap year and apply once you've got your grades instead.
    Thanks, I've been considering a gap year and it does seem like the best option for me atm. Do you think I should even apply to any unis this year or just do it next year after my grades?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiera_)
    Thanks, I've been considering a gap year and it does seem like the best option for me atm. Do you think I should even apply to any unis this year or just do it next year after my grades?
    if you wanted to, you could do it just for the experience but i would say you'd have a much better chance next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fonzworth)
    I definitely find it the hardest out of my subjects, but I think a lot of that is down to doing hardly any work last year, and not having much of an interest in the subject any more. If you enjoy it and are willing to put the work in (my college say 5hrs independent work a week) I'm sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    if you wanted to, you could do it just for the experience but i would say you'd have a much better chance next year
    Okay thank you, it will probably be easier to apply next year any way as I'll have more time to spend on my application and personal statement
    I'll talk to my tutor at college about it, because I'm assuming I'll still need help from them with the application next year

ReputationRep:
    Is there any circumstances that caused you to get a lower grade for physics, and could you ask your physics teachers for a retest maybe at the end of November? I know that my physics teachers were willing to predict me higher due to a retest I took/ special circumstances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CompSci2018)
    Is there any circumstances that caused you to get a lower grade for physics, and could you ask your physics teachers for a retest maybe at the end of November? I know that my physics teachers were willing to predict me higher due to a retest I took/ special circumstances
    I know that I did no where near enough revision, but we did a retest in September and I did the same again! I'm really trying to revise everything from last year but I'm really struggling and not sure that I'd be able to improve my grade much that soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyoNW)
    I'm essentially in the same spot as you - 5A* + 5A at GCSE, D in AS Maths, predicted A* (Computing), B (Maths, hoping to push up to an A in December mocks), B (Physics).
    Looking at the big Unis (for computer science, at least), my best bet is access schemes/contextual offers. For Leeds, I'm going through Access To Leeds and hoping to get a lowered offer; for Bristol, there are contextual offers based on what school you go to. These things are out there, go looking for them!
    Also, make sure your personal statement + reference are amazing, then hope for the best.
    Unfortunately I don't qualify for most of the access schemes but I hope you can get some offers!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.