Joeboyshop
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello,

I have a 2 part limits question, where the first part is a show that the limit is 1, and the second uses the answer to part 1. I have done part one, but I just can't manage part 2 without getting +/- infinity, but I can see from the graph that this isn't the case.
I've attached the question, please help.....!!

Name:  IMG_3357.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  494.3 KB
Farhan.Hanif93
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Joeboyshop)
Hello,

I have a 2 part limits question, where the first part is a show that the limit is 1, and the second uses the answer to part 1. I have done part one, but I just can't manage part 2 without getting +/- infinity, but I can see from the graph that this isn't the case.
I've attached the question, please help.....!!

Name:  IMG_3357.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  494.3 KB
I can't see a particularly neat way of doing this. The 'obvious' thing to try, L'Hopitals rule, isn't likely to make the working much easier in this case. Your best bet may be to simply find the taylor expansion of the numerator and perform the calculation from there.

What have you tried?
Joeboyshop
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
I can't see a particularly neat way of doing this. The 'obvious' thing to try, L'Hopitals rule, isn't likely to make the working much easier in this case. Your best bet may be to simply find the taylor expansion of the numerator and perform the calculation from there.

What have you tried?

Ok thanks, I had a feeling it needed the Taylor expansion, this is an exam question which I was trying, but we haven't covered the l'hopital's rule or Taylor yet, so I really just wanted to make sure there wasn't something blindingly obvious I could have tried, as the first part wasn't too hard. Also Wolfram alpha says the limit is -1/18, and that number is also at the beginning of the Taylor expansion, so I guess they must be related!

thanks anyway
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Joeboyshop)
Ok thanks, I had a feeling it needed the Taylor expansion, this is an exam question which I was trying, but we haven't covered the l'hopital's rule or Taylor yet, so I really just wanted to make sure there wasn't something blindingly obvious I could have tried, as the first part wasn't too hard. Also Wolfram alpha says the limit is -1/18, and that number is also at the beginning of the Taylor expansion, so I guess they must be related!

thanks anyway
Yup, once you've taken away the first term (1) and divided by x^2, (from the taylor series expansion of the numerator) you'd just substitute x=0 to get the answer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?