The Student Room Group

What book left an impact on you?

Scroll to see replies

50 Shades of Grey
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. The poetry, suspense, subtlety and stark imaginative fantasy has inspired me for years.
Captain Corelli's Mandolin- the ending made me cry so much!! It was so beautifully bittersweet and Iannis' soliloquy about how love is what is left after everything else is one of the greatest passages I have ever read
Long Walk to Freedom (Nelson Mandela)

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince:cry2: :rip:Dumbledore:emo:

In Europe (Geert Mak)

Running Wild (Michael Morpurgo)

Alone on a wide wide Sea (Michael Morpurgo) - my favourite one from him

Original post by Ray_Shadows
Kensuke kingdom by Michael Murpurgo
:five:
The fault in our stars
The color purple
and
Me before you
Oh and a horrendous short story by Road Dahl called Lamb to the Slaughter.:redface:
Reply 47
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Goodnight Mister Tom. I read it when I was 7 and I still remember telling everyone that would listen about it, and then reading it over and over until I got my hands on the film. Then reading it again.

great book, great film.
Stig of the Dump was one book which will be planted in my mind since we read it in Year 6.
Original post by 04MR17
Oh and a horrendous short story by Road Dahl called Lamb to the Slaughter.:redface:

Omg that short story was hilarious but horrendous😂Apparently, after the events of the story, the woman (I can’t remember her name) tried the same thing with another husband, but her new husband was a forgetful man and forgot to turn on the freezer, so the lamb was really soft and didn’t hurt her husband and then she got arrested😅
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 50
Between the shades of grey, honestly a good read.
Original post by Michiyo
Share the book that impressed you or left a mark on you with us! :smartass:

In my case, that was Animal Farm by George Orwell. I read it when I was very young (about nine or ten years old) and I hated it so much exactly because it was so sad. To this day, I still cannot forget how I felt when I read it. :moon:

Wow, you impress me so much! you have read such a sophisticated book in this age? resprect to you! :thumbs::thumb:

Are you also interest in reading translated books? I would not only recommend you, but also another book readers to read Hesse's 'Siddhartha', be it in English or German. It is so mind-blowing.
The heavy one that fell on me.
Original post by Unknown-99
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

This book must be pretty good. There are hardly similar threads like this which don't mention this book. I need it.
Reply 54
Original post by Kallisto
Wow, you impress me so much! you have read such a sophisticated book in this age? resprect to you! :thumbs::thumb:

Are you also interest in reading translated books? I would not only recommend you, but also another book readers to read Hesse's 'Siddhartha', be it in English or German. It is so mind-blowing.

You flatter me too much :fan:

I did and I was so scared because of it and cried. I hated it for years to come. Of course, I am now older and understand it better, but cute little child me was like ':afraid: :bawling:'.

Thank you for the recommendation! :lovehug: Not sure if I will read it now in English or after my German is advanced enough to read it in original :colondollar:
Original post by Kallisto
This book must be pretty good. There are hardly similar threads like this which don't mention this book. I need it.

It’s a very good book. It shows how bad racism was decades ago.
The Hobbit. I've got amazing memories of reading that wonderful novel in front of a warm fire, while the wins of winter howled outside the walls of my home
Reply 57
to kill a mockingbird was a great read

farenheit 451 i managed to finish in about 3 nights. makes me laugh how bradbury wrote it as a criticism of tv but it's become about censorship.

on a similar note, nineteen eighty-four was pretty excellent, aced my english lit gcse thanks to that book
I absolutely love reading so there have been many books that have had a huge impact, but my top two would have to be:

The Harry Potter Series

✨THE SECRET by Rhonda Byrne
Paradise Lost by John Milton.

The Crusades by Thomas Asbridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending