Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Academic requirements for Masters? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Nice to meet you all!
    I have a question I can't get out of my head. Years ago I got my Bachelor's degree with a 2.1. Later on I signed up to a Msc in Scotland, but unfortunately after a good start I ended up having the equivalent of a 2.2 as a final result (it was a "Pass" with a final average of 59). My greatest regret is that my performance was heavily affected by a "hearing disorder" that caused me a lot of pain, both physically and emotionally.
    With time I found a way to live with it (I had no other choice, since no cure is available yet), I found a job and overall I'm satisfied with my life so far. However, I'm planning to apply for an MBA in a couple of years from now.
    In the admission section of universities that offer this course it is said that a Bachelor's degree is required (possibly with a 2.1), but there is no mention of any academic requirements related to other degrees, such as a Msc.
    My question is the following: is my Master's result going to compromise my applications, even though I got a 2.1 in my undergraduate studies? Will I be able to ever again be admitted to a Msc, even in other subjects?
    Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Master's degrees are not typically granted with a class honour but rather pass/distinction, sometimes with a merit.

You don't need to have done a master's degree before an MBA - no master's is superior to any other academically. With a pass in your MSc, you may find it difficult to get into a competitive doctoral course, but the MBA will unlikely not mind.

It will consider your work experience more.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.