Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Economics Degrees - Unis have started giving offers, but I haven't received any? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My UCAS application was processed on 12/10/17 (later than I wanted due to extenuating circumstances forms). I have been predicted 3 As (Econ, Geog, History), but 2 of my references say I can achieve an A*, plus a predicted A in EPQ and an A in Politics AS. I've received an offer from Royal Holloway for Economics, Politics, and International Studies (conditional AAB or unconditional if made firm), and know I won't receive an offer from Cambridge until I submit my written work which I'll do once I'm off half term and can scan some stuff in.
    My worries are my other choices. I've seen many people receive offers from the unis I've applied to, and yet I've gotten nothing. I've applied to:
    Nottingham - Economics w/ Chinese Studies
    Exeter - Economics and Politics
    Brunel - Economics and Business Finance.
    I know I'm probably overthinking, but it's really wearing me down that I'm yet to receive anything. I'm genuinely starting to believe that I set myself up to fail and shouldn't have aimed so high. Has anyone else applied to these courses and gotten/not gotten any reply? I just want to know *someone* is in this position. Thanks!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mo_Barker)
    My UCAS application was processed on 12/10/17 (later than I wanted due to extenuating circumstances forms). I have been predicted 3 As (Econ, Geog, History), but 2 of my references say I can achieve an A*, plus a predicted A in EPQ and an A in Politics AS. I've received an offer from Royal Holloway for Economics, Politics, and International Studies (conditional AAB or unconditional if made firm), and know I won't receive an offer from Cambridge until I submit my written work which I'll do once I'm off half term and can scan some stuff in.
    My worries are my other choices. I've seen many people receive offers from the unis I've applied to, and yet I've gotten nothing. I've applied to:
    I know I'm probably overthinking, but it's really wearing me down that I'm yet to receive anything. I'm genuinely starting to believe that I set myself up to fail and shouldn't have aimed so high. Has anyone else applied to these courses and gotten/not gotten any reply? I just want to know *someone* is in this position. Thanks!
    Some universities reply at different times for different subject, so don't even look at applications until after the deadline so there'll be many people out there in your position.

ReputationRep:
    What course have you applied for at Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    know I won't receive an offer from Cambridge until I submit my written work
    Well, no. Any offer from Cambridge won't be until after any interview you might get, and is likely to be in January. Hoping for offers within a fortnight of applying is to say the least, over-optimistic, and you should be happy at what you have got. You may not hear from any more for many weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Well, no. Any offer from Cambridge won't be until after any interview you might get, and is likely to be in January. Hoping for offers within a fortnight of applying is to say the least, over-optimistic, and you should be happy at what you have got. You may not hear from any more for many weeks.
    Yeah I know, I didn't word that quite right. I was just stating that I'm not stressing about Cambridge because they work in their own way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigwang)
    What course have you applied for at Cambridge?
    I have applied for Land Economy at Fitzwilliam College

ReputationRep:
    I'm not stressing about Cambridge because they work in their own way.
    They all do, and your situation is likely to mean longer delays as all your courses appear to involve two departments (your courses appear to be all joint honours courses).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    They all do, and your situation is likely to mean longer delays as all your courses appear to involve two departments (your courses appear to be all joint honours courses).
    I didn't even consider that that may impact on the time it would take to be honest, but it makes sense. I'm trolling these forums for people who have applied for these courses and I can't find them!

ReputationRep:
    Only one I can help with it Nottingham, got an offer for Economics there a few days ago. Didn't get a confirmation email though, strange.

ReputationRep:
    Only one I can help with it Nottingham, got an offer for Economics there a few days ago. Didn't get a confirmation email though, strange.
    I've applied for Economics w/ Chinese Studies, so I'm hoping that they're conferring over my application. My logic is that I'm on the maybe pile and not the definitely not pile

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for Economics w/ Chinese Studies, so I'm hoping that they're conferring over my application. My logic is that I'm on the maybe pile and not the definitely not pile
    Sorry, got an offer for Economics with Russian- going to email them later to switch to pure Economics. Also don't have Maths if that helps. They also gave the higher offer of A* because of this I think

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting on the rest of the Unis though. Not having Maths limits it a bit...

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting on the rest of the Unis though. Not having Maths limits it a bit...
    Likewise, I have no maths. I was thinking of going down a more politics/journalism route when i chose my A levels

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about timing. Some people I know got all their offers within a couple of weeks, starting a day or two from when they sent their application, which terrified me because I'd heard nothing back yet! But I ended up with all five offers eventually - even though it took one university, Warwick, until February to respond (I'd applied in October). You will hear back eventually, and any wait (or not) doesn't mean anything about your likelihood of getting an offer.

ReputationRep:
    Another course you could look at is the History Politics and Economics at UCL while there's still time to change one of your choices- it's AAA standard offer with no Maths required. Considering you already have a 'safe' offer from RH, might be worth considering...

ReputationRep:
    Repeat after me, Hello Darkness my old friend

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.