Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Helix piercing Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey guys
    so i recently got my helix pierced and it was all good and fine but after about 4 days it got real swollen and sensitive. my boyfriend accidentally headbutted the side of my head and now its really sore. i dont know what to do because the salt water and proper ear spray isn't doing anything. will i have to take it out? i really dont want to
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paigeproud_)
    hey guys
    so i recently got my helix pierced and it was all good and fine but after about 4 days it got real swollen and sensitive. my boyfriend accidentally headbutted the side of my head and now its really sore. i dont know what to do because the salt water and proper ear spray isn't doing anything. will i have to take it out? i really dont want to
    Don't take it out just yet. If there is an infection, you can risk trapping the infection inside if you take out the jewellery and let it heal over, which at this point will happen quite quickly. Did it get swollen and sensitive before or because of it being accidentally headbutted? It could be an allergy to the jewellery, which is surprisingly common. Do you know what metal was used? Titanium is usually used, which should be fine, but sometimes piercers use other materials which contain differing amounts of nickel, which is what could be causing a problem. Keep an eye on it and don't fiddle around with it too much in the meantime, and consider seeing your piercer again for advice. They will be able to take a look and give you more aftercare advice, and consider talking to your doctor as well. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Mine did this and it did eventually go away, soak in sea salt water and try not to touch it. Don’t take it out, if it gets really painful and hot and swollen it may be infected in which case see a doctor who may give you antibiotics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.