Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I’m thinking of applying to university to do either a placement year or a year abroad, i can’t decide between the two but either way i’m so worried that after that year i’ll come back and have no friends as everyone else will have graduated or have established groups from first years. I want to enjoy uni and I want to make friends there but I’m worried that I shouldn’t put a year abroad or placement year option down if it means i’ll be alone when I come back. Also will I be completely alone on that year abroad/year in industry? I don’t want to get lonely then especially if i’m in another country.

If anyone has experience with this year out pls reply I need to send I’m my application but i’m so stuck.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetren)
    Hi I’m thinking of applying to university to do either a placement year or a year abroad, i can’t decide between the two but either way i’m so worried that after that year i’ll come back and have no friends as everyone else will have graduated or have established groups from first years. I want to enjoy uni and I want to make friends there but I’m worried that I shouldn’t put a year abroad or placement year option down if it means i’ll be alone when I come back. Also will I be completely alone on that year abroad/year in industry? I don’t want to get lonely then especially if i’m in another country.

If anyone has experience with this year out pls reply I need to send I’m my application but i’m so stuck.
    Heya! I'm currently doing a four year degree which means most of my friends already have graduated, and my closest friends here also had most of their friendship group graduate already because they did years abroad or placement years. So I know what it's like!

I would say that when you're at this stage, of being four years in and in your early/mid-20's, it's a much less dramatic situation than what you're imagining now. Myself and my friends all find now that really, we appreciate having a smaller group of friends. Our friendships have become a lot closer, and the time we spend together is of higher quality--compared to spending more time together with people that were mere acquaintances. We've also been able to actually widen our circle of friends--before, there were so many people on our course that we hung out with them more or less exclusively, whereas now we make friends through friends. So my housemate, for example, has now made closer, better friendships with people that do my physics course, and the physics friend that is staying on with me has introduced me to people that she went on placement with that I'm now closer friends with.

The opportunities that either a year on placement or abroad brings you so much; that year is going to spent making new friends, getting new career ambitions, gaining you new skillsets, widening your experiences--no one I know who went on one ever regretted it. I would say the benefits of going far outweight the cons of not going!

Additionally, I would guess that you could change your course track after your second year if you really, truly decided not to go on one. You should definitely double check with the institution about this, but I'm fairly sure you can change it either way (choosing to take a year abroad/on placement if you hadn't chosen it before).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.