Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

No friends after year abroad/placement year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi I’m thinking of applying to university to do either a placement year or a year abroad, i can’t decide between the two but either way i’m so worried that after that year i’ll come back and have no friends as everyone else will have graduated or have established groups from first years. I want to enjoy uni and I want to make friends there but I’m worried that I shouldn’t put a year abroad or placement year option down if it means i’ll be alone when I come back. Also will I be completely alone on that year abroad/year in industry? I don’t want to get lonely then especially if i’m in another country.

If anyone has experience with this year out pls reply I need to send I’m my application but i’m so stuck.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it should affect you too much. If you make good friends in the first year, they will still be there when you return after your placement year. It is also easy to make friends with new students as well when you return. If you attend societies you will meet new people after you return, or maybe you can meet friends of friends. Don't let your worries put you off doing a placement year/year abroad. It can be a very good experience for your career as well as personally.

When I was at university, one of my friends did a placement year in her third year. When she returned, a lot of her friends were still there - some doing longer degrees or placement years previously, as well as making friends with new people on her course. My other friend studied in Italy for a year - she made a lot of good friends as well as improving her language skills. We went to visit her at the end of her placement year and she took us on a mini-tour of the city she was in

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.