Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I have had to drop out of my university due to personal issues and will be applying for credit transfer next year. I am aware that I will definitely be able to transfer to the Open Degree at least, however, I would rather have a named degree as I think it may limit me applying for secondary teacher training.

    I was wondering what your thoughts are on my chances of being accepted onto BA (Hons) History opposed to just BA (Hons) Open Degree. Are the modules I have already studied likely to be accepted? Alternatively, as some of my modules are literature-related could they offer be History and English, or another degree I am not aware of?

    Year 1:
    • Module 1: American history up until the Civil War
    • Module 2: How to master the skills required to study history at university
    • Module 3: American history from the Civil War until the present
    • Module 4: Builds up on historiographical skills learned in Module 2
    • Module 5: Generic American Studies module with a focus on theorists
    • Module 6: Same as Module 5 but a continuation for second semester

    Year 2:
    • Module 1: History of the U.S. Supreme Court and its role on American history
    • Module 2: America's role in the Vietnam War
    • Module 3: America's role in the Cold War
    • Module 4: The civil rights movement in the U.S.
    • Module 5: The American Revolution
    • Module 6: The history of American music and role of it in society

    I am concerned that the 3 modules in bold will not be accepted for the History credit transfer as it isn't pure history and features various elements. If this is not accepted for a credit transfer then I will have to take the Open Degree which could limit my future career prospects.

    • Do you think I could get a credit transfer to history based on the above?
    • If not, is there any other subjects you think I could get accepted onto instead of Open Degree?
    • Finally: everyone who applies for credit transfer gets offered a place on the Open Degree (providing they have the credits), right?
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    Only way to find out for sure is to apply for credit transfer, TBH. But yes, they'll tell you how much you could put towards an open degree (likely all) as well as towards the named degree.
    • TSR Support Team

    TSR Support Team
    As above, there’s no way to know for sure until you apply for credit transfer. But I think you have a very good chance of being allowed to transfer all those module credits into the History BA, and if not, you'll certainly be allowed to transfer into the Arts and Humanities (History specialism) BA.
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.