Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

investment banking/accounting with physics degree Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am stuck between choosing accounting and finance and investment banking as a career path I'm currently doing maths, physics and economics at a level

I've done work experience as an accountant, and i found it draining in the sense of not being able to use my brain as much as i wanted to because i'm used to more vigorous school work, but if i did become an accountant i would want to work my way up to being a financial director, so i was wondering about how fast i can progress as an accountant

On the other hand i'm not sure i want to be pulling my hair out in investment banking ...

I'm most likely going to be doing a physics degree to allow flexibility for choice of jobs, and because i enjoy it, however i'm not sure if doing physics will put me at a disadvantage for finding jobs

sorry this is a lot but any input would help, thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by its_naomixo)
    I am stuck between choosing accounting and finance and investment banking as a career path I'm currently doing maths, physics and economics at a level

I've done work experience as an accountant, and i found it draining in the sense of not being able to use my brain as much as i wanted to because i'm used to more vigorous school work, but if i did become an accountant i would want to work my way up to being a financial director, so i was wondering about how fast i can progress as an accountant

On the other hand i'm not sure i want to be pulling my hair out in investment banking ...

I'm most likely going to be doing a physics degree to allow flexibility for choice of jobs, and because i enjoy it, however i'm not sure if doing physics will put me at a disadvantage for finding jobs

If you're not wanting to work in physics then you will have to look for jobs that use your transferable skills of which analytical and maths skills will be key. How quickly you progress will depend on a number of factors which no one can predict unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by its_naomixo)

Most people who do a physics degree go into the general 'just want a degree not a specific degree' careers (like the two you mentioned above), it doesnt hinder you for those but if you want to go into engineering etc then yes it would hinder you. You learn transferable skills during your degree via various things like hobbies, societies, group projects etc and this is what makes you stand out when applying for jobs, the degree you do when it is not vocational doesnt have too much bearing on it (unless applying for something like a physics phd etc of course)

ReputationRep:
    If you study Physics, Banks 100% want you to apply. They really do not care what you study, in reality they want candidates that do not study the usual economics or business degrees. Don't think it will disadvantage you, Bank's care you can pass their recruitment processes first (e.g online tests/video interview) over what you study.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.