Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Our class is going to start Shakespeare. We can choose, out of Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth, which play we can study. I know the plots of both but I haven't studied either. I was wondering if you guys can recommend the better text to be studied

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _ajjie)
    Our class is going to start Shakespeare. We can choose, out of Romeo and Juliet and Macbeth, which play we can study. I know the plots of both but I haven't studied either. I was wondering if you guys can recommend the better text to be studied
    My personal preference was Macbeth. I just didn't like Romeo and Juliet that much because it was to much based on romance.

I'd go with Macbeth if I had a choice. But hey you go research each play and see which you prefer

ReputationRep:
    The shortest. When I did mine, we did Macbeth, and one of Chaucer's Tales then some idiot in the class chose Jane Eyre. At that time we weren't allowed to take the books into the exams, we had to memorise everything. It's a lot easier to recall a shorter book then a long one, and something which is over 300 pages long is insane.

I was lucky I passed my English lit first time, but I am sure there was a high fail mark in my class because one student followed her 'parents' advice to use JE just because it was a 'classic'.

As for story Macbeth is easy to remember but it is so depressing, as is Romeo and Juliet.

Good luck to you with either of those ones.

ReputationRep:
    Macbeth vs Romeo and Juliet sounds like a really badass play in which the Montagues and Capulets have to set aside their differences to fight off a Scottish invasion.

ReputationRep:
    I did Romeo and Juliet, and actually really liked it! In our school, one top set (my class) did Romeo and Juliet, and everyone else did macbeth, and I think our class complained about it the least, so I guess Macbeth wasn't very fun.

ReputationRep:
    I have studied both and I would say Macbeth, I found that there were more themes to talk about and it was just more interesting to me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.