Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I am really interested in doing a vocational science related degree, I have always loved the idea of medicine but never really thought I could be a doctor untill recently. I withdraw my place at Lancaster to do engineering due to medicinal reasons but since then I have really found an interest in medicine and confidence too- I only got ABB (although very high Bs) in bio maths and physics- so this year I am teaching myself chemistry so that I can apply for medicine for 2019 entry. I feel I let myself down a lot in maths and physics (I know everyone says this but I seriously did)- I've emailed medical unis and some of them will be happy to achieve my application as I'm a first time med applicant. My Q is, if I don't meet the grades for medicine this year, or my UKCAT is too low. I would like to do engineering (maybe aerospace/general) in 2018. Do you guys know of any engineering universities that would accept an A*/A in maths done a year later with chem? Thank you.
    Basically asking for a heads up on universities you guys know that allow retakes for engineering!!
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by wannabedoc123)
    Hi guys,
    I am really interested in doing a vocational science related degree, I have always loved the idea of medicine but never really thought I could be a doctor untill recently. I withdraw my place at Lancaster to do engineering due to medicinal reasons but since then I have really found an interest in medicine and confidence too- I only got ABB (although very high Bs) in bio maths and physics- so this year I am teaching myself chemistry so that I can apply for medicine for 2019 entry. I feel I let myself down a lot in maths and physics (I know everyone says this but I seriously did)- I've emailed medical unis and some of them will be happy to achieve my application as I'm a first time med applicant. My Q is, if I don't meet the grades for medicine this year, or my UKCAT is too low. I would like to do engineering (maybe aerospace/general) in 2018. Do you guys know of any engineering universities that would accept an A*/A in maths done a year later with chem? Thank you.
    Basically asking for a heads up on universities you guys know that allow retakes for engineering!!
    There are only a small number of medical schools that consider resits.
    The grades for good engineering degree arent far off medicine.
    You need to check the entrance requirements/ info at the unis you are interested in. I might be missing something, but I havent seen the same sort of restriction against resits for engineering degrees. If you have the grades I dont think you will have an issue.

ReputationRep:
    ^Pretty much this, the grades for medicine are around AAA-A*AA and good MEng programs tend to ask for A*AA with a handful asking for AAA, for BEng you would be looking at AAB normally. So you wouldn't necessarily be better off with engineering if your grades weren't up to par for medicine.

To be honest, I'd go straight for nursing if I were in your position, which I kind of was, I just didn't know how good of an option nursing was at the time. If you're good enough to be considering medicine, then you would likely excel in a nursing career. They make good money (better than doctors during early career, and if you're ambitious as a med applicant should be, better than GPs in mid to late career), they're always in demand, you have a lot of career options, and plenty of opportunities to go abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    ^Pretty much this, the grades for medicine are around AAA-A*AA and good MEng programs tend to ask for A*AA with a handful asking for AAA, for BEng you would be looking at AAB normally. So you wouldn't necessarily be better off with engineering if your grades weren't up to par for medicine.

To be honest, I'd go straight for nursing if I were in your position, which I kind of was, I just didn't know how good of an option nursing was at the time. If you're good enough to be considering medicine, then you would likely excel in a nursing career. They make good money (better than doctors during early career, and if you're ambitious as a med applicant should be, better than GPs in mid to late career), they're always in demand, you have a lot of career options, and plenty of opportunities to go abroad.
    I see, thank you for your reply!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    There are only a small number of medical schools that consider resits.
    The grades for good engineering degree arent far off medicine.
    You need to check the entrance requirements/ info at the unis you are interested in. I might be missing something, but I havent seen the same sort of restriction against resits for engineering degrees. If you have the grades I dont think you will have an issue.
    Yes, I agree, I just know I let myself down and understand it's not an option to get less than AA in the summer. I know engineering requirements are high too just needed to know if they'll have restrictions like many med schools do
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabedoc123)
    Yes, I agree, I just know I let myself down and understand it's not an option to get less than AA in the summer. I know engineering requirements are high too just needed to know if they'll have restrictions like many med schools do
    There are many more universities offering Engineering than there are MedSchools and most are not as "restrictive".

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.