Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why do guys mistake friendliness for flirting Watch

i dont get it. im just a friendly girl but guys always think im flirting with them.
    i dont want guys to get the wrong impression cos leading someone on is the worst.

ReputationRep:
    Lol i get that allll the time. Every guy I speak to thinks i flirt. No. I just like people

Girls who complain that guys always think they're flirting when they're not, most of the they're acc flirting but don't realise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i dont get it. im just a friendly girl but guys always think im flirting with them.
    i dont want guys to get the wrong impression cos leading someone on is the worst.

people generally see what they want to see.

Most likely they found you attractive already and when you started being "friendly" the optimist in them saw it as flirting.

ReputationRep:
    Yh guys confuse a lot of things e.g. they may confuse flirtiness with friendliness and vice versa.

You have 2 options:

1) tell him that you have a bf or are seeing someone

Or

2) tell him that you don't feel the same way.

With #1 most guys will back off.
    Try to inform him of this casually by just placing it into the convo.

With #2 you can tell him face to face if you feel he will take it calmly.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean 'always'? And how can you tell what they think you're doing?

ReputationRep:
    Bad judgement
    Or desperation to be in a relationship (or just to have sex)

ReputationRep:
    wishful thinking

ReputationRep:
    First that comes across like your bragging about all the male attention you get. I'm also presuming that all these guys your being friendly with back off when you say you aren't interested. They may be just chancing their luck and aren't really that fussed if it doesn't go through
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Think about how you would flirt and how you act when you are being kind to these people, some of the time there might not be too much of a difference unless you think of heavy flirting.
    Impossible to know one another's minds, it's why finding a relationship is a minefield for most
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Desperation or lack of experience.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to mistake flirting for friendliness

ReputationRep:
    You might just be a really flirty person but unaware of it.

ReputationRep:
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°)

ReputationRep:
    I get that - sometimes I tell guys I'm gay so I can have a normal conversation with them!

ReputationRep:
    Stop being 'friendly' with guys, issue resolved :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by SMEGGGY)
    Stop being 'friendly' with guys, issue resolved :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i want to be friends with guys. they're more fun and less hassle
    • Very Important Poster

This is quite a good question.
    Plenty of males are just poor at interpreting signals and dont have a lot of experience. If you dont know the difference between flirting and just being friendly. When they find a girl talking to them, then they just dont have the experience of what to do or the experience they do have means the only reason to tlak to them is because you are interested....

I wouldnt worry , but if you sense they have the wrong impression then subtly mention your bf or gf.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.