Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2017/2018 Advanced Higher English critical essays and dissertation! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying seamus Heaney and I need to write a critical essay with the question 'childhood often provides fertile ground for poetic inspiration' with 3 poems. these are Personal Helicon, Follower and Digging. I've to consider what Heaney says about chilhood and consider how he has developed as an adult. help???? I don't have a clue how to write this essay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megzz23)
    I'm studying seamus Heaney and I need to write a critical essay with the question 'childhood often provides fertile ground for poetic inspiration' with 3 poems. these are Personal Helicon, Follower and Digging. I've to consider what Heaney says about chilhood and consider how he has developed as an adult. help???? I don't have a clue how to write this essay!
    Assuming you can't ask your teacher for help?

The title suggests an essay of two halves. To begin with, look at childhood. Pick out some factual information that can be gleaned from the poems, such as references to his family. What did he see or do as a child?
    The second part would give you a chance to show more skill, by assessing his feelings towards these incidents and people now that he is an adult. Does he have affecting for the people of his childhood, or does he look back in anger? How do we know? What themes appear in the poems, to suggest that these are important to him? Is there a sense that his feelings have changed since he was a child?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.