Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    guys sorry it's me again i was factorising
    3x2 + 10x + 7 = 0

in this case, would it be appropriate to use the quadratic formula, or would it not work because 3x2 isn't exactly the same as ax
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    3x2 + 10x + 7 = 0

in this case, would it be appropriate to use the quadratic formula, or would it not work because 3x2 isn't exactly the same as ax
    How can a quadratic formula "not work"?

Completing the square, factorising, and using the quadratic formula (which is a general result from completing the square) are all valid methods of solving a quadratic, so they all work.

You can use the quadratic formula if you want, but you can also easily factorise this quadratic too.

ReputationRep:
    no you can use it you would just make a= three

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    How can a quadratic formula "not work"?

Completing the square, factorising, and using the quadratic formula (which is a general result from completing the square) are all valid methods of solving a quadratic, so they all work.

You can use the quadratic formula if you want, but you can also easily factorise this quadratic too.
    i didn't mean the formula not working, more if it was appropriate for the method because i was just unsure if 3x2 + 10x +7 = 0 was equivalent to ax + bx + c = 0- does the squared notation affect it?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    i didn't mean the formula not working, more if it was appropriate for the method because i was just unsure if 3x2 + 10x +7 = 0 was equivalent to ax + bx + c = 0- does the squared notation affect it?
    Your "ax+bx+c=0" is not a quadratic expression, so no they are no equivalent.

If you meant ax^2+bx+c=0 then yes of course they are equivalent since we just have a=3, b=10, c=7

ReputationRep:
    Your gonna use the quadratic formula to FACTORISE.......
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ex-pert)
    Your gonna use the quadratic formula to FACTORISE.......
    Don't see how that's a crime. The formula would give her solutions x_1,x_2 to the equation so all that is needed to be done is plug them in the form (x-x_1)(x-x_2)=0 which would give the factorised form.

ReputationRep:
    3x2 + 10x + 7 = 0

the answer is;

[solution removed]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Don't see how that's a crime. The formula would give her solutions x_1,x_2 to the equation so all that is needed to be done is plug them in the form (x-x_1)(x-x_2)=0 which would give the factorised form.
    But there is another easier way
    I dont see the reason why he is making it look so complicated
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ex-pert)
    But there is another easier way
    I dont see the reason why he is making it look so complicated
    I agree, but if that's the way she wants to try first then she can go ahead and settle on it for the time being.

ReputationRep:
    i tried factorising it but i couldn't do it so i just used the quadratic formula. it got me the right answer

ReputationRep:
    i tried factorising it but i couldn't do it so i just used the quadratic formula. it got me the right answer
    ok

ReputationRep:
    Thats what i want to see
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    To factorise something of the form ax^2+bx+c=0 you want to look for two numbers \lambda, \mu with the following properties: \lambda + \mu = b and \lambda \mu =ac

Then you take the form \displaystyle \left( x+\frac{\lambda}{a} \right) \left( x+\frac{ \mu}{a} \right)=0 and plug those in there for factorisation.

In your example, you have a=3, b=10, c=7 with \lambda + \mu = 10 and \lambda \mu = 21. Shouldn't take too long to notice that \lambda = 3 and \mu = 7 are valid conditions which make those properties true.

So then you have (x+\frac{3}{3})(x+\frac{7}{3})=0 which can be simplified further.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.